Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Very High Res 360° Curiosity Images

goolosh

So someone on another forum was able to download very high res images from JPL before NASA decided to replace them with lower res versions. He stitched them together and has uploaded them to GigaPan.

You can zoom in and see some marvelous details! No word on whether NASA will make the high resolution photos available again or if they will make their own panorama with them but in the mean time, this is a neat mosaic to pour over for those interested in such things!

http://gigapan.com/gigapans/111856

People have already started pointing out interesting things found in this image.

The one NASA released is very impressive as well but you can clearly see the lack of resolution when you zoom in. So this one is just fun to look at unzoomed.

http://www.360cities...0.02,20.13,16.6

When i see images of Mars like this they remind me so much of the landscape in several Saharan countries that i have visited over the years. These pics could easily have been taken in the likes of Tunisia or Morroco.

My point is that Mars is now an apparent dead and barren planet, but water once flowed freely there.

I just cant help but feel that if we search long and deep enough that we WILL find evidence of life there or at best traces of ancient life (bacterial or microbial).

I just cant help but feel that if we search long and deep enough that we WILL find evidence of life there or at best traces of ancient life (bacterial or microbial).

Especially as we could quite possibly be contaminating Mars with microbes from Earth.

Their are most certainly microbes on all the rovers we've sent there due to the fact that they are exposed to our atmosphere once they are bolted in place in the nose cones of our rockets. We now know just how resilient some microbes are to pressure and temperature.

Especially as we could quite possibly be contaminating Mars with microbes from Earth.

Their are most certainly microbes on all the rovers we've sent there due to the fact that they are exposed to our atmosphere once they are bolted in place in the nose cones of our rockets. We now know just how resilient some microbes are to pressure and temperature.

Most of them we know of though can't survive the sheer dryness of Mars, the extreme radiation (ultraviolet, cosmic etc.), temperature swings and low atmospheric pressure all at once. I believe we have managed to find bacteria and microbes that could survive on Mars, but even then I think they need liquid water...

However, I'm a firm believer that there was at least life on Mars (long before we ever sent space probes there) billions of years, if they find liquid water deep in a cave or cavern, it may be possible for bacteria to live.

I personally can't wait for the first human mission to Mars, I really hope I get to live to see that! (As long as it's before 2070 ish, I should be okay)

If I recall rightly didn't Nasa recover something that had been in space for a long time and find microbes on it? Turned out that one of people working on the build had had a cold and sneezed. The microbes survived.

If I recall rightly didn't Nasa recover something that had been in space for a long time and find microbes on it? Turned out that one of people working on the build had had a cold and sneezed. The microbes survived.

This is true, but isn't the Moon warmer than Mars?

Mars also has a meaningful atmosphere, and the microbes may not like the dust storms.

This is true, but isn't the Moon warmer than Mars?

Mars also has a meaningful atmosphere, and the microbes may not like the dust storms.

In sunlight - much hotter. At night - much colder.

The atmosphere and dust on Mars may well not be good for microbes - but the moon has a far higher bombardment rate of X-ray, UV and ionised particles.

I'm not normally one for picking out random shapes and claiming they might be something other than random rock formations. I usually think "idiot" but today I'm the idiot...

Is it just me, or does this looks quite similar to an ammonite; I hope Curiosity points its ChemCam at a few more of these interesting rocks:

http://gigapan.com/snapshots/290903/comments

Archived