Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cladding What Types used and prices payed

oly2b

I have got my timber for the stud work (in process of cutting to 70mm wide) but still to order the external cladding.

I am getting a bit confussed with all the different types and wide range of costs.

What have people generally gone for and what would I be looking to pay?

I need 30m2 or approximatley 300m of cladding with prices on the net of up to £35/m2 its alot more htan I was expecting to pay bearing in mind that insulation and internal sheeting will also be required.

Craig

post-15188-0-24536400-1343302934_thumb.j

post-15188-0-21935700-1343302944_thumb.j

post-15188-0-11635500-1343302952_thumb.j

Shingles are good. I used sheathing ply as a structural material for the walls of my obsy and then put felt shingles over that - its lasted about 10 years so far with no leaks

Shiplap is lovely, best bought from a timber yard or builders merchants, and may shrink a little. Feather edge boarding is cheaper, looks rather "rustic", and I'd want some sort of membrane behind it to make sure the water stayed out. There are all sorts of plastic cladding, too. Some of it even looks good enough that you almost wouldn't want to poke your eyes out with the closest thing to hand. Wainey edge boarding is better than feather edge, also a bit rustic and I think also would warrant a moisture barrier.

Alternatively, just clad it with ply, paint it with something waterproof, whack a trellis on the outside and grow plants up it :)

James

i used 12.5 mm T&G shiplap from a place called MDL timber not sure if they deliver to west yorkshire but they was cheap cost me 178 pounds to do my 12x8 ft obsy and it came in 4.8m lengths i would deffo go to a timber merchants though far better than B&Q

i used 12.5 mm T&G shiplap from a place called MDL timber not sure if they deliver to west yorkshire but they was cheap cost me 178 pounds to do my 12x8 ft obsy and it came in 4.8m lengths i would deffo go to a timber merchants though far better than B&Q

That's the cheapest place I have seen yet.

Here is the link: http://www.diyclick2buy.com/

I looked at that option when I was designing my obsy and the only places I found that sold it wanted a hell of a lot of money for it. Several only dealt in large quantities. Many years ago we bought some second hand from a local auction and used it to roof several livestock sheds. But haven't seen it lately. As I recall the cost of shiplap boarding for my 8' x 14' obsy came to about £300.

I have re clad 3 sides of my obsy this summer & used 5'' shiplap from Buildbase. It was about £1 per metre and the quality was good. It isn't pressure treated though so will need a coat of something.

I recommend Ronseal Total Wood Preserver - not cheap but not rubbish either. Wood preserver from DIY shops tend to be water based and don't last more than a year or so. The Ronseal stuff is spirit based and really soaks into the wood. I got it from Amazon.

I have to sort something out soon off work next week for building my shed, got the stud work cut yesterday. Now have to clean up the saw dust (very fine saw blade used).

Vapour barrier materials do people use roofers breathable type material or go for plain polythene (non-breatherable)?

I think that's about the surface area of my obsy. I got 22mm x150mm shiplap, tanalised, for just over £300 delivered, from our local timber merchants. So I still say check locally first. That's a much better price than the DIY stores though.

Archived