Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Some summer nebulae

swamp thing

Got out to my localish Dark spot around 22:00 last night, limiting mag around 5.7-6 (M13 is just visible with the naked eye)

Met fellow SGL member "Woking" there with his 5" ED I had my trusty 10" Dob. We kinda decided to put our O-III filters through their paces. I have the Lumicon version and Darren has the Astronomik one.

We started out tour near Deneb with NGC7000 (the North American nebula) very distinct with the O-III filters the 'gulf of Mexico' area the most prominent feature easily visible through both scopes. The frac with its wider view getting more of the nebula in, but both scopes needed to trace the outline by moving them. IC5067-70 the Pelican Nebula was just visible through my 10" Dob but I have to admit I didn't look for it through the frac.

Next target NGC 6888 the crescent nebula, situated I guess you could say at the base of the swans throat Sadr being the nearest named star. This was an easy and bright target in the 10" Dob with O-III filter, the full crescent shape well seen.

Staying in Cygnus we both had a look at the Veil neb. On this we swapped eyepieces and filters a few times trying to spot the best combinations. First up, the filters. Tough one TBH, without having two identical scopes with identical eyepieces in I would say..... inconclusive, both gave identical performance, Darren did favour my Lumicon one at first but after more consideration we both decided it was too close to call.

Eyepiece was a bit more obvious Darrens 40mm aero supplied a fine view but the 31mm T5 did kinda kill it. Both the eastern NGC 6895 and the western NGC 6960 were seen very easily indeed, Pickerings wisp also visible, though not quite so easy. The fine filamentary structure observable from a reasonable dark site has to be seen with this object, absolutely stunning.

A trip over to Cassiopeia was next to take in NGC 281 the Pacman nebula. This object is not so impressive through smaller apertures my 10" picks it out okay but I much prefer the view through a larger scope.

A quick glimpse at the Galaxies M31,M32, M110 followed, the main dust lane obvious with some detail seen within. M32 small and bright and M110 was easily seen from tis sight. M33 next, an oval un-homogeneously bright, the HII region NGC 604 visible easily enough through both scopes but the spiral structure elluded us tonight. I had to have a quick glance at M51 to satisfy some spiral structural withdrawal. :)

M13 had a fleeting glance.....well it'd be rude not to from a fairly good dark sky. It didn't disappoint being pretty much completely resolved in the 10" from here.

We also took in the Ring nebula M57, as after all the discussion on the central star it would be rude not to. Funnily enough no central star was visible through either scope although your eye does keep playing tricks on you me thinks :) I kept thinking maybe I saw something.

Finishing up with M27 in Vulpecula. Dumbbell shape well seen in both scopes, it was quite interesting to compare the views of it filtered in the frac, and unfiltered in my Dob. The filter does bring out so much more of the surrounding gas it's tougher to kinda grasp the actual dumbbell shape, whilst unfiltered, the dumbbell shape is plain to see but the surrounding gas envelope is lost to some extent.

Overall a pleasing night with some pretty good results considering its near the middle of summer.

So nice to be out under the stars again. I've almost forgotten the puncture I got on the way home already..............not. :angry5:

Sounds like a great evening's viewing!

i really could do with getting an OIII filter. My Skywatcher one doesn't seem to make much difference. You've glimpsed a fair few objects I've not had the pleasure of yet. Great stuff :)

chris

Sounds like I good night was had Steve (apart from getting a flat!)

Interesting comments on M27, I couldn't make my mind up if I liked the filtered/unfiltered view the most, stunning object either way.

Lots of nebulae you mention that I haven't spotted yet, I can understand why a lot of people rave about the summer objects so much.

Steve sounds like a great nights viewing. What make of Dob do you have?

Mark

It's a homemade scope I believe the mirrors are Meade ones, not sure though as when I got the scope it was in a terrible way and most of it was junked, only the mirror, the cell and spider were utilised.

Would you recommend using an OIII filter on these objects in my 120ED? I have been blown away by M57 & M27, would the filters improve my views or just change them? My favourite EP is my Nagler 12mm...can I only use a 1.25" filter? I want to get the 31mm...does this only accept 2" filters? Is there a solution to this?

Steve

Do you use a UHC on the Veil at all? I can see the Veil without a filter, but the filters make it more pronounced for sure. I've used a UHC (Skywatcher) and an OIII (Castell) and I can't really decide which one is better. I kind of lean towards the UHC.

Sounds like a good night you had. The flat kept you out under the stars a little longer than you anticipated, mind you.

Bart

Veil is on my list so sounds like I need to get one then. When you say nebula filters do you mean OIII and UHC or are there others?

Also what's the extension piece? I can't remember anything extra with the EP. Do you have to buy it separate?

Thanks for all the info.

Nice report Steve and some lovely objects :smiley:

I have a 2" Astronomik O-III filter myself and find it's the only filter of this type that I need. It seems to work very effectively in my scopes from 4" to 10". I prefer the unfiltered views of M57 and M27 but find that the O-III is essential for the Veil complex and the Owl nebula in Ursa Major. The Veil with the O-III and the 31mm Nagler is one of the best views in visual astronomy in my opinion :grin:

It is good to get out under the stars again :smiley:

This past saturday night i finally took my own telescope to a star party 1hr outside of Los Angeles. The skies werent pitch-black, but it was a huge difference compared to where i live. I took my 12" and tried to look for the Veil for the first time. I searched with my Lumicon OIII filter and found it right away....

WOW! i was blown away by the view. As a fellow viewer there with me said, it was an "eery" presence (did i spell that right?) in the eyepiece. Probably the most memorable view in my 15 years in this wonderful hobby. And i know its only just beginning since ive only had my Lightbridge for a month lol

Anyways back to the discussion... I also compared views of the Veil with OIII, UHC, and unfiltered. 1.) Unfiltered it was nowhere to be seen. Not a single trace of it. 2.) With my Baader UHC-s, the view was much less aprarent than with the OIII. Very faint with only the brightest parts of the nebula visible with averted vision. 3.) With my Lumicon OIII the view was amazing! It really made the Veil present. Even with direct vision the Veil was faint but pleasant to view. With averted vision, the nebula just popped into the field with beautiful curvature.

I totally recommend the Lumicon OIII filter for anyone who is thinking about getting one. It really makes a HUGE different on nebulas. Even here in the horrible light pollution of Los Angeles, planetaries just pop into view where they were nearly invisible before.

Im going to see if the Veil reappears here in LA with the OIII :grin:

Great write up Steve and a great nights viewing by the sounds of things. I have had a few visits to the Veil complex myself in recent weeks and would agree, it truly is a stunning object. The only thing I yearn for is more tfov, as the 26mm Nagler limits me to around 1.4°. I have considered swapping it for the 31mm on a few occasions (still wouldn't come close to fitting the entire Veil complex in but every little helps!) but haven't been able to commit??

Great write up Steve and a great nights viewing by the sounds of things. I have had a few visits to the Veil complex myself in recent weeks and would agree, it truly is a stunning object. The only thing I yearn for is more tfov, as the 26mm Nagler limits me to around 1.4°. I have considered swapping it for the 31mm on a few occasions (still wouldn't come close to fitting the entire Veil complex in but every little helps!) but haven't been able to commit??

Same here. Im trying to find a good deal on a good 30, 31, or 32 mm eyepiece just for these few wide items like the veil, M31, etc... It would make the views even more epic if we could manage to fit as much as possible into the singe view.

Thanks for the info Steve.

Looked at the Astronmik 2" OIII and at £170 it is not cheap...why do I keep reading awesome reviews of observations and then realise I need something else!

John, the Nagler 31mm with OIII sounds like a winner. Think I will can the idea of a new car and invest in glass.

Really want to get the Veil in before end of summer.

Just seen the report Steve through the link in the Surrey Observers area. Spot on, another good night's observing!

As for the Oii filters.......after borrowing Steve's Lumicon on a previous trip to Bignor, it was an obvious must have for the ED120. I ordered the Astronomik due to it's good reviews on SGL (and other ED120 owners on here seem to have one in their EP cases too). As I was just thinking of the spetacular views offered of the Veil and N America nebula, it was an added bonus to see how good it was on the Dumbell too, giving another dimension to unfiltered with the surrounding gas clearly seen to be encasing the dumbell itself.

We swapped and changed EPs, filters and viewed in both dob and frac and just could'nt decide between the Lumicon or Astronomik. So best advice would be to decide on price.

Felt sorry for my 40mm Aero's first light being up against Steve's 31mm Nagler - it really was'nt fair on the poor 'cheap' thing :grin: What did suprise though was that my old Vixen 30mm offered brighter crisper stars?

Also gave the Moonlite it's first light, I fitted it to the ED120 what must have been over a month ago thanks to the rubbish weather we've been having. As hoped and expected, it's an exceptionally well made focuser and a real pleasure to use. Looking forward to testing it's fine focus on some planatory and lunar detail.

It'd be great to see some fellow SGL'ers up at Bignor next time we are up there, so if you are in the area.....we post obs meets on the Surrey Observers and it really is the more the merrier!

Archived