SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

PERSEID METEOR SHOWER - Aug 11/12, 2012

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far I've had too reasonable night, lasst night was very clear, but the quarter Moon was in exactly the wrong place. I've had 5 very bright sightings, 3 last night and 2 the night before, plus a fair few fainter ones. Possibly one capture, although I'll need to find it if i have.

Cloudy today, but with this wind it may well clear up for another clear night.

I'm currently near Gretna with the family on holiday and It's inky black skies (milky way is really easy to see). I went out the back of the cottage last night for an hour and averaged ~2-3 per minute.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I'm in LA so the closest and darkest site for us would be Mount Pinos, a 90 minute drive away. Also, since we've been having very high temps these past several days it should be nice and cool up at 8300 ft elevation overnight. I expect the parking lot there to be full of stargazers on Sat night.

Well last night didn't go exactly to plan, I planned on imaging both ISS passes and sitting out there for a while but missed them and finally got out about 1am, I was out till about 2am and only saw one , it was a massive streak across the sky but very faint and the camera missed it. I started falling asleep out in the chair so I let the camera run and fell asleep inside again. I just checked and I did get one of camera, it's faint and loads of LP but it's my first positive meteor capture so I'm happy.

Now to stack the set and see what I get from that and recharge again for tonight.

It's not much but look top left.

post-8383-0-28273000-1344684972_thumb.jp

Ergh... the compression did that no favours.

Thank you. :)

I'm happy as it's the first obvious one I've managed, tonight though I'm going to drop the exposure length of 1 minute right down and push the iso right up to hopefully get a better pic out of it all.

I copied and pasted this posting I just made at another site.

I spent Sat night on Mt Pinos here in So Ca with at least 100 people. Conditions were iffy til about sunset with thunderstorms hovering over the mountain but cleared for the evening. At least temps were ideal, dropping from 100F to around 50F at the top during the 90 minute drive from my home.

I heard lots of ooh's and ahh's during the night. I caught about 5 fireballs and about a dozen good streakers.

There weren't that many scopes out as the parking lot was mainly strewn with lawn chairs, blankets, and sleeping bags.

There were still a couple dozen vehicles in the parking lot when I left at 6am.

I did bit of meteor detecting last night and it worked picked up some station for few seconds

something said happy hour :)

Have listen to sample goldwave software recorded scatter for me

http://cliffraves.hourb.com/skycam2/scatter/persuids/meteorscattermp3.mp3

meteorday2.gif

I was tuned to this on air/pb/wb slider switched on

422291_10151160504202288_1646623705_n.jpg

You can see more from me moonraker from thread link below.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/153400-moonraker/

Archived