Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Harpenden street light petition

Monty

There's a petition to turn street lights back on after mdnight in Harpenden. This could end up with the whole of Hertfordshire being re-lit.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/156722-harpenden-petition-turn-our-street-lights-back-on/

I've begun an opposing petition to keep the lights off until a suitable alternative is available.

Herts CC has replied and approved the petition which goes live tomorrow. This isn't a selfish plea from an astronomer rather a plea from a resident that hates helping burglars, has a wife with cancer is also a stargazer and wants the community to benefit.

I'll post the link to the petition tomorrow.

I'd be extremely grateful for any support.

The crime arguement doesnt hold water - you'll get burgled whether street lights are on or not, same as your car will get broken into with or without streetlights on- the villain will still need a torch in both cases and will actually be more conspicuous with no street lighting and flashing a torch about. Street lighting was off after midnight all over Herts until the mid 80's - there was no noticeable decrease in crime after the decision was made to leave them on all night. Same goes for parked cars not being visible - absolute rubbish. Hope the lights stay off for good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just worked out that as of today based on the 2011 census only 0.3% of the Hertfordshire residents have signed the petition to have the street lights turned back on after midnight. Considering the support given by the local media it's not an impressive figure.

Archived