Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Drift alignment - Help

Zendrix

Hello all.

I have an EQ2 mount and i've been trying some imaging, so i started with drift alignment. Im using this method, but i'm not sure if its correct (although i can track good rounded stars for 30 sec exposures...the frequent wind hiting my balcony doesnt allow me to try more than that, risking myself to ruin every single sub).

So im using thios method, but im not sure if it is correct:

For Azimuth: Im pointing due South, as close to the horizon as possible. Pick a star, align cross-hairs in APT with West and start motor.. if it goes up, i move azimuth clockwise and vice-versa.

For Altitude: I point west, pick a star near the horizon. align cross-hair with star drifting direction again. If it goes up, i adjust the altitude further down (i guess you reverse it if pointing west, no?)

My doubt is AZIMUTH alignment, pointing South... can i align azimuth pointing south, near the horizon? They say to pick a star near the celestial equator and the meridian (which should be an arc passing through the point over ur head and passing through the celestial pole) but from my balcony i can only see from South to West.

i would appreciate if you could clarify me on this.

Thanks in advance,

Rui

(im sorry if this is not the place for this post)

Yes, i had seen that one as well... Very good tutorial.. I just didn't notice his picture of Stellarium confirming that for Azimuth you point South, which is where you'll find the crossing of both celestial equator and meridian.

Thank you for re-opening my eyes! :)

Cheers,

Rui

yes, i did see it before as well! I left a comment on your channel as well. Amazing video, which actually unblocked some doubts i had!

Great work my friend! Thank you very much!

Cheers,

Rui

Will do! Itts looking relatively aligned in my EQ2, although is never easy to adjust stuff in these mounts, specially AZIMUTH, for which i have no handle to turn it west or east.. i really have to almost detach the whole thing, rotate it and re-"screw" lol

Thanks mate, much appreciated! :)

Rui

Archived