NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Why so many INED70's for sale?

Astroegg

I keep seeing carbon fibre INED70's for sale on Ebay. Am I missing something? Is there a new version due to come out soon and a load of old stock needs to be shifted? I am very tempted to buy one as they look very versatile however the asking price is perhaps a little steep at 300 quid! What are peoples thoughts - should I buy one or stay well away?

That seems pretty expensive to me, too. TS are offering them for 319 Euros which works out around £250 at today's exchange rate. Given that on ebay they want another £13.50 for shipping I can't see that it's a very good price at all.

James

That seems pretty expensive to me, too. TS are offering them for 319 Euros which works out around £250 at today's exchange rate. Given that on ebay they want another £13.50 for shipping I can't see that it's a very good price at all.

James

They usually charge a further 12.99 euros for postage, but still considerabkly cheaper than EBay. I have noticed that all there stuff is more expensive there than on their own web site.

I had one but only kept it a few weeks. Not impressed with the optics at all. Just nowhere near as sharp and contrasty as a Megrez 72 although collimation seemed to be spot on. I get the feeling that the optics do vary quite a bit with this scope as I have heard positive comments about it as well. Pity that mine was one of the poorer examples as the build quality was excellent and the focuser was excellent as well.

John

I have heard the same about several similar scopes. My APM 80mm F/6 triplet is also sold by TS. Mine seems is very sharp indeed, visually at least (not used it photographically yet). Olly also liked the views it gave, and he has a TEC 140. I have heard that some 80mm F/6 triplet were less impressive.

I bought it as an IKI 70ED, F/6, made by Kunming, which I believe is likely to be the same . I am very happy with it and take it with me whenever I go away. I use mine with a Baader Fringe killer permanently mounted in the diagonal. I have also made a solar filter for it. In a sense it is my best scope, because it gets most use...

I think this it has also been sold under the Stellarvue and Astro-Tech labels and there are a number of reviews on the web. Perhaps the most interesting is this comparison of "travel grade" refractors by Wolfgang Rohr:

http://translate.goo...0z7NWHGU0VWwPGA

But also see:

http://www.astropix....ESTS/SV70ED.HTM

and

http://www.cloudynig...99/Main/3212732

• 2 months later...

I use this scope very successfully for imaging and find the optics fine. The only issue however is that it's very fussy when it comes to field flatteners, the only one that worked for me was the expensive TS flattener and spacing is critical.

• 9 months later...

I use this scope very successfully for imaging and find the optics fine. The only issue however is that it's very fussy when it comes to field flatteners, the only one that worked for me was the expensive TS flattener and spacing is critical.

I'm looking to buy this exact telescope for astrofoto and GnG.

Could you point me to the "expensive TS flattener" with a link?

What spacing did you use?

I may buy an adjustable ring (Baader) to have more tweaking with the spaceing.

thank you

Archived