Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Coronado PST?

Astrosurf

For those who naturally worry about such things, PST's and other Ha telescopes are the safest way to observe the Sun. Although designs vary, all essentially have an etalon, energy rejection filter and blocking filter resulting in an image free from harmfull radiation. None of the components can fall off or out and are not removed during use, if any get broken or "wear out" due to prolonged use, the scope would just stop working. White light observation relying on one barrier to the Sun's focused radiation is potentially the dangerous method. :smiley:

Sorry but I think that is a very silly statement, rather not worry or comment further.

Jim

Why silly? Peter has identified that white light solar imaging is reliant on the integrity of a single sheet of plastic film that is temporarily fitted to a scope to allow solar imaging. The film could be damaged or fall off or the user may just forget to fit it.

A purpose made solar scope has ERFs, blocking filters and an etalon built in to restrict the energy getting through the scope making it significantly safer to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Blame Apple for the typos and me for the content

Sorry but I think that is a very silly statement, rather not worry or comment further.

Jim

I'm not sure it's very silly though. If you're not too careful, the filter could blow off. I'm totally paranoid and tape it on with loads of gaffer tape. I must admit I do worry the home-mades might not always be too robust. I look very quickly and carefully in the EP to align then just use the webcam. It's a shame as you don't get the whole sun, but even with checking the filter carefully and loads of gaffer tape, I can't be too sure!

Astrosurf, I understand your anxiety but if all precautions are carried out correctly that there is no need for worry, I feel that that statement is scare mongering and a bit over the top. Any newcomers who were to read it would I think be put off solar work and not being able to afford a PST would keep away from it. By all means give out as much information as possible to ally any fears people may have.

Jim

Astrosurf, I understand your anxiety but if all precautions are carried out correctly that there is no need for worry, I feel that that statement is scare mongering and a bit over the top. Any newcomers who were to read it would I think be put off solar work and not being able to afford a PST would keep away from it. By all means give out as much information as possible to ally any fears people may have.

Jim

I too prefer level-headed thinking, but I still think it's important to make people absolutely aware of the risks, but of course not scaring them off!

I thought Peters post was a well balanced, well reasoned post.

It highlighted the total dependance on one film filter compared to a number of devices in a PST or similar scope. Naturally the film filter is capable of doing the job, but we must be aware how fragile it is and routinely check on its condition and fastening each time it is used.

I would like to thank him for this very important reminder.

Oops, didn't mean to cause controversy, in fact on re-reading my post it did seem a bit pointed. However the fact of the statement remains and the cautions previously posted are very valid. Thankfully, I can recall no incidence of anyone yet damaging their eyesight using either of these techniques. :smiley:

Thank you Peter, I was just worried that any newcomer would read that and shy away from solar work without a better explanation. I know there are loads of entries in every solar thread about safety and it cannot be stressed enough, just hope the people at Baader don't see that entry :D.

Jim

Archived