NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

royal observatory

spacecake

has any one ever been to the royal observatory in london and if so what is it like as ive been thinking of going.

if there are any better options people know of i'd be happy to hear them as i'm based in north wales thanks.

(on a side note im disappointed i missed the venus transit, but atleast i got to see it on the sky at night :) )

I have been a couple of times and thoroughly recommend a visit.There are regular shows in the Planetarium which I really enjoy. Not only i actuals the site very interesting itself but Greenwich Park is lovely as well with great views of London.

may go after my birthday in about a week take my camera with me and i just remembered i havent been to jodrell bank since a kid i remember buying the horrible bag of space food thats not far from me either!

Ditto Bruce's post.

I'll certainly be paying a visit to The RGO In August. It's almost an annual ritual now.

Take a look around Flamsteed House too. I think the Camera Obscura adjacent to the house still operates.

I could almost sense John Flamsteed's presence the first time I toured the house :smiley:.

Ron.

It's worth a vist if in London, would avoid the weekends though.

There's always a queue of tourists for a photo in front of the 'sculpture' (?) on the Prime Meridan line but avoid that and get a proper photo in front of the red line marked on the building itself, a much better and historical shot :cool:

i have been quite a few times, its certainly worth a visit.i would probably not go there just for the observatory though, fortunately Greenwich is a very nice area of London with lots to do and see. The Observatory and Planetarium will be closed 7 July–3 Aug

the observatory is a interesting place to visit and most of it is free, apart from the meridian courtyard and flamsteed house.there are lots of exhibits and the planetarium .

there is also the maritime museum, cutty sark, queens house, the old naval college, the painted hall and the chapel are truly spectacular, this map shows some of the attractions.

http://www.visitgree...tor map2010.pdf

and if that's not enough the views are stunning, the area has a nice feel to it as well!

I went a few weeks ago when they were building the arenas for the Olympic equestrian events. Was a bit disappointed as I went to see a specific exhibition which had ended without the website being updated. I suggest giving them a quick ring to see whats on exhibition wise. The dining hall, with the painted ceiling, at RNC Greenwich is well worth a visit - happy memories of dinners there when it was still the Royal Naval College.

Given that it's much closer and not subject to Olympic fever, what about the National Space Center http://www.spacecentre.co.uk/?

great and as the annual ticket for £13 is a bargain i definitely worth a look but its twice as far as jodrell bank so i might make a weekend/overnight of that one and see the sights or look for a camping sight where i can see the stars!

Archived