Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2 naglers or 1 ethos?

Mr Moff

I'm really sorry for yet another televue eyepiece thread. :undecided:

So a thread I started a few days ago made me decide on the 13mm nagler.

I'll be ordering next week and I think I can scrape to a second nagler.

I am wondering now whether to go straight for a 13mm ethos?

What would others do he, go for the ethos or 2 naglers?

For those that would buy 2 naglers what 2nd nagler would you choose?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hiya John, yes in the future I'd like to have a handfull of great eyepieces.

The BGO's are my favourite for planets so will be staying.

I definately need a medium power one which is why I'm looking at a 13mm. I just can't decide on an ethos 13mm or a 13mm nagler with a 17mm one.

Yes, the BGO's are excellent and definitely worth keeping.

I guess a 13mm Nagler with a 20mm Nagler would be fine additions to your current ones, keeping the Hyperion 31mm for the lowest powers.

You could part with the Celestron X-Cels and the TV plossls then as I feel they would be redundant. The 18mm BGO might not get a lot of use either but it is a sweet eyepiece. Perhaps you could exhange it for a 9mm BGO ?

A set comprising of 31 Hyperion, 20mm Nagler, 13mm Nagler, and the 9 to 5mm BGO's would be very nice indeed.

The Ethos are superb but are also just so expensive - if it was me I'd want something between the Ethos 13 and the Hyperion 31 but there may be no budget left for that.

I think you would probably be happier with the 13 Ethos. I would say that the main strength of the Nagler in comparison to the Ethos is that it is small and manageable in comparison to the Ethos. In all other respects the Ethos wins. Not only is the field of view larger, but the Ethos is much more comfortable to use and with better optical quality.

If you just can't justify the price, you might also consider waiting till the autumn when the 12 and 14 Delos come out (take your pick). This is a modified Ethos design at a much lower price. Delos are even more comfortable to use than Ethos, with slightly better optical quality and wonderfully immediate views. Even though the FOV is *only* 72 degrees in the Delos, I find it much more accessible and easy to explore than the fields in my NaglerT6's--with the result that I find the image more involving in the Delos than in the Naglers despise the FOV difference. This is because of the large eye lens and eye relief of the Delos.

After using Delos Eps, I now only use Naglers on scopes that will have balance issues with larger Eps and for when I want a super small grab and go kit. Of course I realize that Naglers are wonderful Eps with very high optical quality, it's just that after using Ethos and Delos, they now seem a bit dated to me.

I don't know what they are like with the new 100 eyepieces but Ex Sc is part of Meade and they always advertise gear ages before it ever seem to be available. Look at the new mounts, advertised before Christmas here in Bulgaria, available now November, Maybe.I am making the assumption that the UK is treated much the same. It only ever seemed to be USA that get limited supply around about date they say they will be available.

If anyone has one outside of the USA, then I am sorry.

Alan.

Michael,

Thank-you, i just can't get used this shorthand style, it was the 'B' that threw me off the scent. I find this type of eyepiece too short of eye relief, my lashes get in the field of view, for me they are not comfortable to use, I like Radians for this type of viewing.

Alan.

I have a 13mm Ethos and it's a superb eyepiece. In truth I think if I had my time again then I would not buy the 13mm Ethos. Assuming the type 4 Naglers are as good as I suspect, I would change the Ethos for a 12mm and 17mm type 4. This would give more options when the seeing is ropey in my big scope. Not all the time but every now and again I feel I need something between the 13mm (142x) and my 26mm (71x) and perhaps if I had the 12mm and 17mm this would suffice. That said, I can never seem to actually decide to sell my Ethos as it's unlikely I'd ever have the chance to own one again in my current position and my 15mm TV plossl does an admirable job of filling in for now.

Wow! Certainly good reports coming from ES.

I just bought a Nagler 26mm T5 should be here tomorrow, maybe I should of looked closer at the 20mm ES 100 range....

....mike, have you won the lotto? :grin:

Thanks for all the links, I've only just finished reading them.

I think I'm gonna go for the ethos 13 from the shop that Damo provided a link to. Thanks Damo.

I've just gotta scratch this itch before my brain melts.

Hopefully in a couple of months I'll pick up a lower power nagler.

Thanks guys. I promise I won't change my mind again. :smiley:

Archived