NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ara Globular 6397

johnh

SPX350 F4.53 +F12.3, ATK-16HR + Mintron, Baader RGB filters

This globular is the 3rd largest in the sky and the second closest to us after M4 at 7,200lyrs and is one of 20% of globs showing core collapse. Central density was worth a closer look with the sensitive mintron at 4300mm fl, unfortunately bad seeing hindered closer look but core stars start to separate out.

ATK-16HR, RGB-10x3min each.

Mintron, L=17min RGB=6min each in 2.56 sec subs.

Thanks, John.

post-2572-0-85319400-1340439517_thumb.jp

post-2572-0-42836100-1340439552_thumb.jp

Nice image John - and even better to see a little science involvement - don't see much of that on amateur fora - well done and keep up the good work :cool:

ps: I've give this GC a go if it wasn't below my horizons :grin:

That's a great image and an interesting few facts about it. I think including a bit of detail like that about an image makes it all the more interesting. Thanks for posting. :)

So given Globulars are all V old..why the blue stars in this one...Wouldl like to see one of those star diagrammes..

Mark

Nice image...love to see those objects we cannot from up on this side of the earth.

Thanks for comments, I would love to construct a colour magnitude diagram for this cluster but it is very complicated to arrange, we need some clever bod to write software that can count and colour compare blue and green or blue and red mono images with FWHM to measure star magnitudes.

Regards, John.

Archived