Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What objects offer the most WOW factor for a first time viewer.

I should be receiving my new Orion XT8 telescope this weekend. Im planning to head out to the desert where light pollution should be almost none. Im wondering, for a complete beginner, what objects are going to really wow me. I understand that im not gonig to see hubble like detail and color, I just want some ideas of things that you have seen along the way that i could really enjoy. I am only going to have the 25 mm plossl eyepiece, so magnification will be limited. Any advice?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

clusters the planets ,"the moon" a personel 5 year obsession with the moon never fails to wipe me out ,clusters are great as well of course bright galaxies double stars ,but clusters and doubles look for the behive cluster theres lots of jewel like clusters that are to die for one nights viewing is hard to plan

try this pick one constelation and spend all night on it to often nights are killed because trying to see every thing in one syndome kiks in.

with the 25mm ep should be fine a lot of dso`s do not need high power .i can not recomend ,the blue new version of turn left at orion that book will be a god send and the best money you will spend please get hold of this book if your budget will allow as ,you can use binos with that bbok

cheers Pat

Hi Jokerb19,

The first things I would loook for would be 'easy targets' !. I have never forgotten the first view of Saturn that I had. I have just put in Salt Lake City into stellarium. Mars and Saturn will be close together looking south. Mercury will be very low in the western horizon..

You should have great clear skies, if you are able download a copy of Stellarium from here :- http://www.stellarium.org/ its free and very good. Else have a look on line to see what objects are visible to you from your location. Although in the desert you will have no light pollution be aware that as the desert cools down it dumps its heat into the atmosphere so seeing conditions can be impaired!.

Enjoy your first use of your scope.

Best Regards

I second Todd's recommendation for Turn Left at Orion! I bought it last week and have been burrowing through it, what a great book it is, obviously a labour of love.

This is a great resource, I think, it's a series of sketches that let you know roughly what to expect through your scope if you're going for DSOs ...

I am jealous of your desert, by the way. England is perpetually wrapped in damp cotton-wool clouds...

Happy hunting!

I second Todd's recommendation for Turn Left at Orion! I bought it last week and have been burrowing through it, what a great book it is, obviously a labour of love.

This is a great resource, I think, it's a series of sketches that let you know roughly what to expect through your scope if you're going for DSOs ...

I am jealous of your desert, by the way. England is perpetually wrapped in damp cotton-wool clouds...

Happy hunting!

That website is amazing! Glad you posted that, many thanks :)

Chris

Thank you all for the ideas and thank you for that website sunshine, those pictures appear to be taken with the exact scope and 25mm eyepiece i have. that gives me a great idea as to what i will see. Again, thank you all

Saturn. Saturn. Saturn.

By far the most amazing for a first time view. And second. And third. :grin:

Seriously, it's a must see! Really amazing, it's one thing to see pictures of it, but another to see it hovering in the midst of space, right in front of your eyes!

- AZ

Download Stellarium, Google the Telrad Maps, there are a few different types, look for a List of Messier Objects, then go for the Open Clusters, there's quite a few and there easier to find than Galaxies, and they do have a wow factor....:)

Saturn. I know here in the UK we haven't had the best of weather for observing but when I do get a chance to get out I choose Saturn. Awesome.

Really envious of your skies. Enjoy your scope.

Another vote for Saturn. I was also impressed by the many features of the moon. I have a oft spot for M44 the beehive lustre Asti wasmy first open cluster. I was also amazed the first time I saw the ISS with my naked eye, ompletely by cache just happened to be out at the right time.... But it was so good I will consciously plan to see it again.

for some deep sky treats, try M13 (Globular cluster), M81 & M82 (Galaxies - both will be visible in the same field of view), and M27 (Planetary nebula - see if you can spot some colour in the latter!)

Andy

The moon was a real wow for me, and M13 was my first DSO. Still waiting for the right conditions to properly enjoy Saturn - unfortunately I'm not great at staying up late so Summer observing sessions are short (possibly not the best hobby?!)

Seriously though, the moon is stunning!

one of the things I did when I first had a scope, was to point the scope at what looked like a blank piece of sky with maybe 1 or 2 stars, and then the moment you look in to the eyepiece and the number of stars that just appear, that was a real WOW moment for me

First night I got my scope I set it up with the standard 28mm SW ep and lined up Jupiter and was blown away even without really knowing what I was doing being able to see colour and the 4 pin pricks of light that were the moons was a definite wow moment for me and I'd only just started. I got everyone out of the house and no one could believe how amazing a view it was albeit small. The moon and planets are amazing everytime although a moon filter might be worth buying with my scope the moons way to bright to spend any time looking at without one.

Good luck :)

Archived