Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What objects offer the most WOW factor for a first time viewer.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saturn is great, but Jupiter is king in my book. Saturn gives an immediate wow, but Jupiter is more changeable, more dynamic. In terms of deep sky: Go for M13 (or perhaps even Omega Centauri is visible from your latitude). The whole Sagittarius/Scorpius area in the direction of the centre of our galaxy is stunning. Hardly any need to go star hopping, just browse through it.

Greetings from another Utah member, though I'm in the Southeast of the state. Definitely the moon and saturn, but my favorites are globular clusters.

Don't forget to find a local astronomy group. It's great to go out observing with other people add see what they're looking at.

Hi

Top 10 wow factor targets in no particular order:

Moon

Saturn

Jupiter

M31

M13

M42

M45

M81/82 (same fov so 1 target)

Albireo

Cr399 aka Coathanger (always raises a smile and/or wow from viewers)

Definitely search out a local group to stargaze with as this adds to the overall experience because it's shared!

HTH!

I like looking way back in time, at things as they were millions of years ago ie. Many of the deep sky objects. Don't underestimate the power of understanding what you are looking at ;)

Interesting thing about pointing an 8" scope at the moon is that you can see features less than a mile across! Looks incredible with high power in good seeing, especially at the terminator - here's a useful guide to what you can see with various sizes of scope: http://www.astronomics.com/main/category.asp/catalog_name/Astronomics/category_name/V1X41SU50GJB8NX88JQB360067/Page/1

Saturn. Saturn. Saturn.

By far the most amazing for a first time view. And second. And third. :grin:

Seriously, it's a must see! Really amazing, it's one thing to see pictures of it, but another to see it hovering in the midst of space, right in front of your eyes!

- AZ

I 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th that.

It never ceases to amaze me that Every time that gem comes into view I still have the same reaction

WOW WOW and WOW again

Mark

Saturn is the ultimate WOW factor. No matter how many times you see it..................it just blows your mind.

Jupiter and its bands and moons is a very close second.

M42 (Orion Nebula) is an old friend to many and always great to see.

M44 (The Beehive cluster) is simply STUNNING.

The Moon..................lets not forget about or dismiss her beauty.

Auriga has some beautiful sights.

Leo is jam packed with goodies.

The double in Perseus.

The Ring Nebula.

Too many to mention but the above is a short list of WOW objects.

Archived