Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Never Thought I'd Get It...

fatwoul

After imaging other things (NGC7635, etc), I decided to swing the scope around and see if I could catch something so elusive it evaded detection until 5 years ago:

SoapBubbleSML.jpg

I really didn't expect it to show up at all, considering this was from only 2 hours worth of 1200sec exposures with my new Atik 4000. But it did show up...just.

See it? No?

How about now:

SoapBubbleCloseUpSML.jpg

I love mine. It was starting to look like I'd have to sell it before I bought the next scope, but things have worked out such that I was able to keep it. I couldn't be happier. It's such a good all-rounder. It's a nice, middling focal length for DSO, but I've also done some lunar images that I am pleased with. It's also not a bad visual scope - I've looked at Jupiter, Saturn, Venus and Mars with mine several times, not to mention some limited deep sky observing.

I'd say its versatility would make it a good addition for a club, but with a couple of things in mind:

1) They can be made to perform very well, but they take a lot of coaxing, and unless they are mounted permanently, they need to have their collimation checked before each session.

2) Some - mine included - also have a little mirror flop, but this is easily corrected with a few bits of cardboard.

Thanks all. Finding it was indeed a challenge, but after studying photos on Google, I finally managed to pick out the stars I needed to use to centre it. Definitely going to add more subs to this.

If that's what just 6 x 1200s frames can pick up, I'll be very interested to seen what you'll be able to get with 6 x 1200s with the new OTA...! I've never even thought of trying to find it from my garden, but if I can get out to a dark site, maybe I'll see if I can give it a go sometime.... I've always wanted to have a go at Simeis 147 myself, but I've always cried off as I just know that I'd probably end up shooting a random star-field... (as I've done 2 or 3 times before :o). Excellent capture...!

Superb image - do you have any RA-Dec co-ordinates for this object? Not showing up on CdC (must load more catalogues...)

I very much doubt I'll get anything from the orange glow around Reading - but I wont know till I've tred

Francis

Thanks Andy - based on your recent efforts I'm pretty sure you'd be able to put my Soap Bubble to shame. And none of that dark site talk - I found it from the suburbs of Plymouth, so it can't be that elusive afterall.

Roger - thanks, glad you like it. Here is Jurasevich's own account of the discovery, which is an interesting read:

http://www.starimage...40_125 RCOS.htm

OK, so he's an operator at Mt Wilson, but he's also an amateur astrophotographer, which I find encouraging.

Francis - sorry I didn't see your question sooner, please don't think I was being cagey!

I'm ashamed to say that I got the co-ordinates from Wikipedia. :o However, the co-ordinates didn't centre it for me, so instead I used this wonderful image by Roland Christen:

http://geogdata.csun...tarsReduced.jpg

and starting with the Crescent Nebula, followed a trail of brighter stars to find the bubble.

Cagey - that's one thing people on this group aren't! Looks like the triangular form of 6 brighter stars in 3 loose pairs within the bubble boundary will be the initial target....

Thanks again

Francis

Archived