Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Trifid Nebula - maybe last hurrah for a few months

split_city

With the birth of the second child just around the corner for my wife and I, I have been trying to get as much imaging done as possible as I'm unsure how often I will be able to get outside over the next few months.

I only got an hour of the Trifid last night. Pretty happy with how it's come up.

Details

Scope: 8" Newt

Camera: unmodded canon 400D

Settings: 12x5mins @ ISO800

Darks, flats and lights stacked in DSS and post processing done in Photoshop.

Picture here

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope all goes well, and that's a lovely image to finish with before hand

If you want to embed the image, click on the share button at the top of the image page, select the Grab HTML/BBCode option, set to BBCode, select a size and cut and paste the contents of the box... you'll get something like..

7215203706_4be5a85bb8_b.jpg

Trifid Nebula by split-city, on Flickr

This is a great result for only an hour's worth of data! However, like Pete, this is one I'd like to get, but I fear will always be a little low for me ;)

[i must be doing something wrong somewhere as I seem to need to get at least 6 hours data with my CCD before I can start doing battle with the noise... and then I see this taken with just and hour using a DSLR :icon_scratch:]

And good luck with the new arrival! One of the good things with baby's is that they give you an excuse for staying up all night without being moaned at :)

Lovely jubbly I really want to have a go at this one but holding out for July when it will be in the right place for me to have a crack at it. Or I might just go out in the car to hunt this one down, amazing nebula

Very nice. Not tempting fate, are you, with the Trifid? (Triplets??? Eek.)

I can get this nicely from Lat 44 in southern France but the lovely Rho region is just too low.

Good luck to all on the big day.

Olly

Thanks everyone.

I'm going to go down the route of my previous image and convert the RGB to grayscale and see what I can dig out of the resulting pseudo luminance.

However, our little girl (Charlotte) arrived this morning so I have more important priorities at the moment :(

very nice image for only an hour.

Congrats on the little girl! I have a boy of 3 and girl of 9 months so the same as you....its a lot more tiring with two. I'm glad i dont have 5 or 6 kids as i cant cope with 2!

Thanks again for the well wishes. 24hours down and everything is going well.

Andy: we already have a 2 year old so I'm used to sleepless nights. Trying to juggle astrophotography and parenting roles can be a bit of a handful. Many nights of sleep deprivation. I can't wait for the day where I can do an overnight imaging run and sleep the following day. Will be a llllooonnnggg time before that happens!

Archived