Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mikes sketch the Messiers project.

Mike73

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

your work is constantly improving mike, just fantastic sketches. i wish i could see m31/32 and 110 like that ! what eyepiece was you useing on that sketch ?

scrap that question, seen your blog. (26mm nagler).

Thanks Qualia / Pug / Rory

M31 was really tricky to sketch in the dark under red light, it was hard getting the brightness of the galaxy accurate as its so big. I thought it looked spot on looking at it under red light but a bit disappointed with it when I saw it in daylight haha!

Another 70 Messiers to sketch so hopefully I'II get it sussed by the time I've completed the lot. :)

Another visit to 'globular alley' last night which means I've sketched nearly all the viewable Messiers in Sgr/Oph/Ser/Cap/Aqr area of the sky, a few left in Ophiuchus that I should of got in the summer but due to the fantastic weather we had I just wasnt able to!

Was good just sticking to sketching globulars for the evening as the hardest thing I've found about sketching is trying to keep the brightness of each objects as accurate as possible. The sketches above are pretty close to how bright I saw each glob at the EP, just wish I had better conditions as occasional cloud and Antoniadi III seeing made resolving individual stars tricky.

M9 in Ophiuchus

post-20821-0-69955700-1348084815_thumb.j

great stuff. m73 i sketch a few weeks back. reminds me of a lttle space ship like o meara describes.

Funny thing about M73 was I didnt even know what kind of object I was looking for as I didn't have any reference books and the S+T Pocket Atlas just showed it as a +.

I must of swept over it a few times before I remembered O Mearas space ship sketch and then it twigged! Funny little object, small aswell.

Did you pick out the Saturn Nebula which is nearby aswell? Conditions were pretty poor for me at that point but I had a couple decent glimpses of its shape.

I regularly come to this thread to see your latest offering and really enjoy your work.

What are you going to do when you've captured all the Ms ? :wink:

The RASC Finest NGC list is looking favourable at the moment but also tempted just to have a crack at the Herschell 400 but that wont be for quite a while yet, all those lovely springtime Messier galaxies to come. :)

Really good night observing last night, viewed the Veil and also spotted the large meteor streak across the sky which was amazing!

Enjoyed sketching a couple Messier spiral galaxies, would of had alot better views but Plymouths skyglow wasnt helping one bit so looking forward to driving a little further West in the hunt for darker skies soon.

M29 in Cygnus

post-20821-0-35368800-1348328172_thumb.j

Archived