Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mikes sketch the Messiers project.

Mike73

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, really well done Mike these are great drawings. It's the sort of adventurous project you normally hear about then after the first few it all goes quiet, I'm really impressed at how well it's going. Good on you for sticking with it :D

Your sketch of M33 is amazing, mind you the others are pretty good too, well done.

Thanks Alan. :)

Seriously Mike, these are really quite superb. Just think what you'll get at this site with the 16".....the step up is quite major, I can tell you.

The site I have been using is getting a little muddy now so I have to drive a little further but the skies are darker again. New dob + spring galaxies = Bring it on!!! :grin:

i can only imagine seeing m33 like your sketch shows. im lucky to get a hint of its core. great as per mike :headbang:

Before I started sketching I never would of picked out the detail in M33, probably would of looked at it for 10 minutes and seen a oval smudge and moved on but I think thats where sketching can really improve your observing skills, taking your time viewing objects works wonders I've found. :)

Wow, really well done Mike these are great drawings. It's the sort of adventurous project you normally hear about then after the first few it all goes quiet, I'm really impressed at how well it's going. Good on you for sticking with it :D

Cheers Kev. M74 was my 50th Messier sketch (and my 93rd observed) so still a long way to go but I'II get there. :)

• 1 month later...

Due to telescope problems and weather I havent had a good night under the stars for ages but I'm now back on track and cant wait to crack on with my Messier sketches.

Heres a few OC's from home on Saturday night.

M35

post-20821-0-83120800-1355135846_thumb.j

i went back over a couple of my sketches earlier and compared them to yours, purely to get a real perspective on how darker skies and larger aperture play their part.

namely m42/43, and m1 the crab. it gives a real good idea of what you can expect.

your orion nebula sketch ,is really amazing. well done ....

i went back over a couple of my sketches earlier and compared them to yours, purely to get a real perspective on how darker skies and larger aperture play their part.

namely m42/43, and m1 the crab. it gives a real good idea of what you can expect.

your orion nebula sketch ,is really amazing. well done ....

The transparency that night was so poor even though the skies were dark.

M1 took ages to sketch as I would literally get a couple seconds of good viewing then it would go back to a mushy blur. Just need this cloud to clear and have a good nights seeing/transparency to really test the Sumerian.

Thanks for the comments Rory, always appreciated. :)

Did you ever get your mirror problem fixed?

Well kind of....I sent mine back only to find out there wouldnt be a replacement available until the next shipment in Febuary, but that batch of 16" are going to have Zygo reports so at least when it does arrive I know it will be a good one! Sumerian have lent me a mirror to use until then. :)

Archived