Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mikes sketch the Messiers project.

Mike73

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beautiful new additions mike!

May I ask what kind of pencil you are using on your sketches?

On the few sketches that I have done I simply used a No. 2 pencil on white paper. But your renditions on black paper seem so much more natural and true to what we see in the eyepiece.

Eddie - I work in port these days and rarely get any sea trips (when I do its up north in the summer!), just wish I was into astronomy when I was sea going. Yep I've been loving the whole Sagittarius region the last few nights, my dark site overlooks the sea looking south so its perfect position.

Alex - I stumbled across the Mellish technique a couple months ago and really enjoy using pastels, infact I wouldn't go back to using graphite again as I find the Mellish technique is easier.

M51 / Whirlpool galaxy

1 1/4 hours of observing and 15 minutes to sketch M51 but I finally caught its spiral arms by gently rocking the scope and changing magnifications.

Looks a very basic sketch but for me its my best one yet. :)

All the details on each sketch are on my blog.

Edit: Thanks Seb, starting to feel a little drained now after a few good nights observing, taking a night off tonight to recharge the batteries. :)

post-20821-0-68063800-1343137186_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if there was a problem with the street lights or if my local council have decided to save some cash but we didnt have any street lights last night which meant that my home observing sky went from its usual LM 5.2 up to LM 5.5...bonus!! :grin:

M2 in Aquarius

post-20821-0-63875500-1344677311_thumb.j

nice bunch of g/c there. i looked at my m14 sketch to compare to yours and between your better skies and increased appeture,the detail you have really comes through. my m14 is just a smear in comparison. great work mike .

I just hope you get good weather for your trip to Wales mate, I should imagine you'll see a huge difference. Looking forward to maybe reading a report or seeing a sketch or two from there. :)

I used to find that I could resolve all the outside stars in a glob with my 8" at dark sites, they would go more 'misty' the closer to the core that you looked all depending on what glob it was.

• 2 weeks later...

Frustrating conditions last night with fairly poor seeing patchy cloud and a gusty breeze which kept pushing the OTA around.

M6 and M7 were also only around 4˚ above the horizon but it was good to get another couple from Scorpious because I dont think I'II be back in that area again until next year now.

M17 in Sagittarius

This was the last sketch of the night, conditions were really poor for viewing by this time but I'm fairly happy with the star placements but it proved all but impossible to pick out detail in the nebula so I'm not really happy with this sketch but as Arny said 'I'II be back!'

Archived