Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mikes sketch the Messiers project.

Mike73

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nice sketches as per mike. :smiley: . i really like m17. you got waaaaay more detail from there than i managed. keep em coming mate .

Cheers Rory. M17 was really frustrating to sketch, I could just pick out traces nebulosity over the swans back but the scope didnt stay steady enough to really pick that amount of detail out.

M73 and M74 are up at the moment but are low....

I am looking forward to more galaxies..M33 soon??

Will the arms show with your dark skies in a 12 inch????

Mark

Mark. I've been concentrating on the whole Sag, Scr and Oph area of the Milky Way for so long that I'm really looking forward to some galaxies and M33 is top of the list.

I have a new 16" coming at the start of November so I've been planning a comparison sketch between my 12" and the 16", M33 would be interesting but I'm open to any other suggestions?

Well done on getting M6 and M7 Mike. They are becoming a bit of a struggle for me now.

James

Thanks James. The dreaded sea mist was my biggest problem again, after M6 I went to M69 but by that point even that was just a fuzzy glow so I went up to M17 and then the wind seemed to pick up! Cant win em all I suppose. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have been following this thread from the start and look forward to seeing what you have added.

These sketches are truly impressive and already a great resource to show what can been seen visually, please keep up the good work.

Look forward your next postins.

Spent last night sketching objects around Sagittarius which is getting pretty low and also hampered by sea mist and poor transparency.

My next night out will be at another spot a little further from home but has darker skies so looking forward to sketching some galaxies around Ursa Major.

M16 the Eagle nebula in Serpens

post-20821-0-83733500-1347184679_thumb.j

Enjoying the sketches....but go on do NGC 7331 which is high at the moment..It would be a lovely fuzzy oval with a few smaller galaxies in the background...

You could call it M111! I am sure Messier would approve..

Mark

OK Mark I can see how that would work well......... M111 its is then. :grin:

I was quite tired last night so just went for a quick hours observing from home, 3 hours later....Another three Messier sketches!

Great looking forecast for the next week, lots of observing, lots of sketching and gallons of coffee!! :)

M34 in Perseus

post-20821-0-05486100-1347525721_thumb.j

Great stuff, Mike. Your art work is just getting better and better and these sketches are making wonderful reference points.

Thanks mate. I really enjoy doing it, I couldnt imagine not having a sketch pad at the EP now, I wouldnt know what to do with my hands! :)

Archived