SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mikes sketch the Messiers project.

Mike73

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta admit its a pretty slow start to sketching 110 objects! :)

This summer is really dragging, ive modded as much as I can to my dob, spent way too much money on astro kit so now there's nothing left to do but sit and wait for the cloud to go and darker nights to arrive.

Got 3 more days of work then 2 weeks off to hopefully do some sketching.

Wonderful stuff Mike! It is a worthy project. I just received my 12" dob and I'm excited to start hunting.

Keep up the good work. You've inspired me to do the same. I look forward to seeing much more from you!

Wonderful stuff Mike! It is a worthy project. I just received my 12" dob and I'm excited to start hunting.

Keep up the good work. You've inspired me to do the same. I look forward to seeing much more from you!

You are going to love using that 12" Alex!

Good luck with the sketches and make sure you post them here. :)

• 2 weeks later...

M24 from last night.

Dark skies (NELM 6.2) meant the whole cluster shone like jewels, a sketch or even an image cannot compete with seeing it with your own eyes.

Found it quite tricky to ID as its in such a saturated area of stars but the dark nebulosity and IC1284 gave it away, the brightest stars in the whole FoV came from the centre of IC1284.

More details from the evening on my blog if you are interested, good to get back in the saddle after so long under cloudy skies. :)

m24.jpg

Nice catch, a very considered and crafted sketch Mike, I take it by your account that you did not use or feel the need to use a filter? Sitting quite low on the Horizon I expect you must have travelled some distance to avoid any sky glow. I observed from home last night, the sky glow was very evident and it never really gets too dark here yet.

I think I could of used a UHC filter for more impact of the bright nebula but from images i'd seen off it before I knew I wouldn't get any detail from it do I went without.

Taking readings of sky brightness is something which keeps surprising me. The SQM reading of 21.45 works out to be in the same ball park as the NELM which using Ursa Minor worked out to be LM 6.3. This was only about 15miles from Plymouth!

Last winter I was travelling for 40 minutes to get skies that dark so finding a spot that dark so close to home is a great find. :)

It's right on the coast so everything from SE to W is over the sea hence the great views of Sagittarius.

great sketch mike. and a messier im desperate to see this year at some stage.

I'm tempted to sketch it again tonight through 10x50's but there is so much around that area that I want to do!

I'm tempted to sketch it again tonight through 10x50's but there is so much around that area that I want to do!

indeed, a very object rich area. wish it was a higher constellation from uk skies though. when i got to see the eagle and swan nebula ,they were my limit of horizon, so alot of goodies were just out of view .

hope you have clear skies again mike. keep up the project,

Archived