Hi from sunny (yeah right) Sidcup!

boltzy

Hi everyone,

I've been interested in 'space' for about as long as I can remember. In fact among my earliest memories are watching grainy images of the Apollo 11 landing on my parents B/W telly!

I'll admit that watching Stargazing Live this year gave me the inspiration to finally buy a telescope and start looking into space with more than just my eyes. After much research I opted for a Skywatcher Explorer 150P on a EQ3-2 mount. This fitted my budget as well as the shed (for storage, not an observatory!).

Since my purchase 3 weeks ago, I've only managed two nights observing due mostly to the incessant rain and clouds! However on my first nights observing I did managed to see Saturn and it's rings! At first I aligned the scope with what I thought was Saturn only to get frustrated that I couldn't any rings, then I realised I was actually looking a bright star (Spica)! I realigned and immediately saw Saturn and was blown away. On My second night's observing I only managed about 5 minutes before the clouds came over but I did get a few tantalising glimpses of the Moon.

I've used the past few (rainy) weeks to get the hang of collimating using a Cheshire. A bit nerve racking initially but satisfying when you get the hang of it. I also bought a Baader light pollution filter which I used on the moon; seemed to work pretty well in my heavily light polluted area.

Anyway, looking forward to some clear nights. I'm now off to watch the Sky at Night!

See ya,

Mark (boltzy)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Mark and welcome to SGL. I have only been a member on here for 10 days but have alredy been helped so much by the advice I have had - its a great forum. Just a shame it cant get rid of the clouds :clouds2:

Welcome to SGl, hope you don't live near the Golf Driving Range on the A20, i'm ex Sidcup (Stafford Rd)...:clouds2:

Thankfully I don't, but I do have a floodlight on a neighbouring apartment block that shines onto the back of my house brightly (from 90 meters away) I'm trying to get it angled down (no response yet from the management company responsible for it). Plus there are the neighbours who occasionally leave their curtains open and lights on at night! I suppose this is something we 'suburban' astronomers have to live with.

BTW, thanks to everyone for their warm welcomes, much appreciated!

Hi Mark and a warm welcome to the forums, I remember doing the same thing when I was looking for Saturn and focused on Speca instead but when I got it right and first saw Saturn it was a real wow moment whice I will never forget :clouds2:

Archived