Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M63 Sunflower Galaxy , wide & up-close

Grinde

Hi!

here's another pic from the cloudy folder containing data aquired during nights that had lots of thin clouds & a few patches of occational clear skies, where I leave the rig imaging unguided for the whole night. I've sorted out the frames that wasn't ruined by clouds, & ended up with enough data for an color-image of the lovely M63 sunflower galaxy

Takahashi FSQ106EDX

QSI 583wsg

10Micron GM2000 HPS (unguided)

Total: 1h45m

L: 13*5min

R/G/B: 3/3/2*5min

I've also included a cropped & 150% upsized version of the galaxy since my imaging-scale makes small stuff even smaller. But I'm surprised by the level of detail my 4" managed to pull out imaging at just 530mm focal lenght!

And of course, an annotated version identifying the 140ish galaxies in the image (!)

Click image for full resolution version

7001662486_c8f94912a8_c.jpg

Click image for annotated version

7001662926_6744339078_c.jpg

Click the image for resized 150% crop

7147750187_a83e9cac31_c.jpg

Thanks for watching!

Best Regards

Jonas Grinde

!!!!!!?????!!!!!!

That is quite something from 105mm.....

Olly

I'm still scratching my head about it, I thought I'd need huge aperture long-focal scopes for this kind of details. Have at peek at my recent M101, also looked good in a 150% crop Widefield M101 & close-up

Note that the crops are 150% resized in photoshop & not drizzled.

Outstanding!!! I see the value in the optics, that there is no doubt ;)

Thanks mate!

The FSQ106 is a fantastic versatile scope despite its humble size. But don't forget the need for quality tracking, a scope will never produce sharper stuff than the mount is capable of (when it comes to DSO's).

I used the same scope/ccd combo on my NEQ6 last year, but the shots using the new mount are way sharper! Even though I'm just imaging at a forgiving focal length of 530mm - 2.1arcsec/pixel, the differance was much bigger than I would've thought.

I bet there are tons of imaging-setups out there being held back by the mount they're riding on

I used the same scope/ccd combo on my NEQ6 last year, but the shots using the new mount are way sharper! Even though I'm just imaging at a forgiving focal length of 530mm - 2.1arcsec/pixel, the differance was much bigger than I would've thought.

I bet there are tons of imaging-setups out there being held back by the mount they're riding on

This just goes to show - the mount is the most important part of getting detail (in addition to aperture and quality of the optics). The more accurate the more signal is stacked more accurately on each pixel (perhaps we can call it pixel perfect tracking and stacking) which means all the fuzzies that are dim in the background will (a) be brighter and (:eek: be clearer too!

To me this is more down to the mount than the scope ;)

Excellent result for the FSQ. I onl yhave tried M31, M33 as i thought the rest were far too small. You're making me regret going to bed early and not trying it. Such a lot of detail for the short time too.

Thanks mate!

Yes , but a great scope will still take a better image than a poor one on the same mount :)

Archived