Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Your thoughts please

Hi all, your thoughts on a consumer related topic.

I will not name the retailer as i am giving them the chance to sort out the problem.

Having received my new 127SLT I found that the controller was faulty, I notified the retailer and was advised to send it back to them as it had a known fault. I sent it back 1st class recorded and was told by the retailer that they had received it and had sent it back to Celestron that day. Two days later I enquired as to when I would receive a new controller only to be told that it would hopefully be with me early this week as they were waiting on the Celestron engineer to repair it.

It has now been a week since the retailer received the faulty item back, am I being impatient? I think that if Celestron could not repair the item imeadiately they should have sent me a new unit by return. The law says that I should give them a reasonable amount of time to repair or replace. Is one week reasonable?

It's often difficult to get a good perspective when things are personal so your thoughts are welcome.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I would have hoped that as it was a 'known' problem that, as a good will gesture, the manufacturer would have sent out a replacement unit (without the fault) on receipt of the faulty unit.

But then customer service 'aint what it used to be! :(

Hope you get it all sorted out to your satisfaction.

Bryan

I personally would not of accepted a "new" unit being returned to manufacturer for "repair" : I would of asked for an immediate replacement by the retailer.

I would contact the retailer and advise them of this, (bear in mind under DSR the goods have to be fit for purpose or you are entitled to a full refund) and ask nicely for them to send you a shiny new one.

Oh PS reasonably sure again under DSR you are entitled to your return postage costs back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Edit: Yes I'm correct, and that's also correct if the goods develop a fault in the first six months as it's classed as being faulty at point of sale.)

I am sure they have up to 28days to resolve it, that's what you.t was then I worked for a computer shop a couple of years ago.

Which is a pain in the .-.

Edit-thinking about it that was after the first 28day, it was a new one for with in 28days

I would concur with Stephen. If your scope is brand new and the controller is faulty then you are within your rights to ask for a brand new one by return of post. Don't be fobbed off. Say that if you don't recieve a new controller immediately then you will send the whole scope back and ask for a full refund. I am sure that they will get their fingers out then. Nobody likes confrontations, but if you give them an inch they will take a mile. Be civil, but also firm and try and do it via email. That way if it continues then you have actual evidence of who said what and when. You cannot do it the same with telephone conversations as it ends up "they said this and you said that"etc.

Thanks Guys

I am aware of my rights as a consumer but wanted to give the retailer a chance to sort it out.

Hopefully it wont come to it but if I don't get some satifaction I will be asking them to collect it and give me a full refund and if this is the case I will be naming and shaming in the reviews section.

They should have replaced it, your guarantee is with them an if something does not work out the box then it should be a swap out. Their guarantee is with Celestron not yours. This is a famous trick with laptops and high street retailers which was investigated I believe, they tell you to send it back or they will send it back for you and claim no responsibility. I get really annoyed about subjects like this because I have seen so many people put up with sub standard service. Anyway as others have said it's not good enough.

Yeah Tribal-Wolf. The retailers try it on by saying that you have to contact the manufacturer. Unless you are savvy then alot of people would do that, but in reality your contract is with the retailler NOT the manufacturer.

I personally would not of accepted a "new" unit being returned to manufacturer for "repair" : I would of asked for an immediate replacement by the retailer.

I would contact the retailer and advise them of this, (bear in mind under DSR the goods have to be fit for purpose or you are entitled to a full refund) and ask nicely for them to send you a shiny new one.

Absolutely. You've been sold faulty goods which, under all reasonable circumstances should be substituted without question.

Also, bear in mind...quite often, when they say a manufacturers' engineer is required, it's not uncommon for said engineer (technician) to cover quite a large area...sometimes the whole of Europe...

Pick up the blower...:(

Hi

some really good advice here!

To my knowledge, as an ex retail customer support manager, Tribal-Wolf has hit the nail on the head. The handset (if not the entire setup) should be immediately replaced with new.

You do not have to accept a repair. Particularly good advice regarding correspondence by email. Telephone promises are not worth the paper they are not written on. Email will give you an immediate 'audit trail' if you do not get the satisfaction you are entitled to.

Start with a phone call by all means, but back it up with an email and continue that way.

Good luck

Given that these things cost peanuts at the factory gate - and I do mean peanuts, a few quid at most - I think it staggeringly cheapskate of the importer not simply to have sent you a new one immediately.

Olly

I would accept nothing less than a complete replacement setup or a full refund including postage costs incurred by you.

The goods were faulty at point of sale and should never have left the shop/warehouse.

They should be returned to the manufacturer by the retailer after you have received a replacement.

How you getting on ... weekend approaching! 3 days of closed shop!

Sent from my Nexus One

Ok, thanks everyone for the comments and support.

I have been promised that a new handset has left Celestron and will be with me tomorrow.

I'm not impressed with the customer service I have received although they are very apologetic. I had to ask the retailer to refund me in full and collect the scope before I got the response that I should have had on day one.

With any luck I will have the scope up and running by the weekend, let's hope the weather plays ball!

It wouldn't hurt to contact Celestron directly and let them know that you had shoddy service from one of their dealers. Manufacturers need to know if their dealers are not representing them properly. Retailers have to sign agreements to be a dealer - and part of the deal is taking care of customers so they aren't disappointed with the company's product! Let Celestron know that you are a SGL member and that your experiences are shared with thousands of us. They cannot afford to have their good name tarnished this way!

Send a copy of your email to the retailer, too. That way, they might not try and pull this on the next fellow! :hello2:

Dan

PS: Next time you need something, our sponsors here (First Light Optics) are first rate on service. :)

I did try FLO first but they are out of the 127SLT's until the end of May.

Interesting that the retailer had put the blame on Celestron.They are well known on the forum and actually had good reveiws, the reason I chose to deal with them.

I have had my 127 SLT exactly a year and it is a great scope. Once you get your up and running I am sure you will think the same. Have you got a powertank and powerlead for it yet?????? You will definately need one otherwise you will end up going through batteries at an allarming rate

Archived