NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

OU Course.

Stargazer33

Received my course material (book) for my new OU course on Galaxies, Stars and Planets on Friday.

WAY more math involved in this '... you don't need any prior experience' course than I thought there would be! :(

However, I am really looking forward to learning about and understanding what I am looking at in the night skies. In the daytime too for that matter - our closest star!

Open University - Science - Physics and Astronomy Courses.

Bryan

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes when I did it, 1 year or 60 points cost about £200 but since the government put up tuition fees they have also changed the way the OU is funded so their prices have had to increase by a significant amount. It is a shame as it stops people learning for pleasure as I wouldn't have minded doing that course but it just costs too much. We could have a new telescope for that :(

Yes when I did it, 1 year or 60 points cost about £200 but since the government put up tuition fees they have also changed the way the OU is funded so their prices have had to increase by a significant amount. It is a shame as it stops people learning for pleasure as I wouldn't have minded doing that course but it just costs too much. We could have a new telescope for that :(
it's annoying because i work full time and that bars me from any subsidies but at 47 yrs old i would love to do this [have free time at night and prepared to do the study [have standards in chemistry and physics and biology and maths [we called them o levels ] and higher's in chemistry/biology plus do loads of study/course work for my job [in the gas industry]seems if you work your at an immediate disadvantage

it's annoying because i work full time and that bars me from any subsidies but at 47 yrs old i would love to do this [have free time at night and prepared to do the study [have standards in chemistry and physics and biology and maths [we called them o levels ] and higher's in chemistry/biology plus do loads of study/course work for my job [in the gas industry]seems if you work your at an immediate disadvantage

If you're earning under £22k/yr you can apply for £200 from ILA Scotland. That's what I did and I'm taking the same course (Galaxies, Stars & Planets with the OU) as it's only £170 :(

Received my course material (book) for my new OU course on Galaxies, Stars and Planets on Friday.

WAY more math involved in this '... you don't need any prior experience' course than I thought there would be! :(

However, I am really looking forward to learning about and understanding what I am looking at in the night skies. In the daytime too for that matter - our closest star!

Open University - Science - Physics and Astronomy Courses.

Bryan

I'm taking the same course and got my book on Friday too. Scientific calculator? No such thing when I was at school, it was a book of tables! :p

Maybe see you on the OU site/forums. :D

Scientific calculator! Perhaps I should have done the course on how to use a scientific calculator before signing up for this course!! :(

I am lucky in that I have already done a course before the prices went up. So as long as I study certain courses each year I still pay the old rate.

It is still going to be very expensive to get my degree though and on my salary that is a BIG ask! :D

Bryan

I was looking at S282 but they want £1200 for some course books, a few hours of your tutor's time and some exam marking. Don't know how they justify the price.

Yep, it ain't cheap. Each of the 30 point modules for my Masters in Advanced Computing is £1380 of which my employer is paying half. I am on my fourth module now and the 12 month disertation is next at £2200. That's the price of a fantastic refractor..... Doh......

I'm not too sure about the blog charting my progress. I'm not sure I could take the public humiliation when I crash & burn! :p:(

I suppose the OU courses are so expensive because someone has to pay for all the David Attenborough wildlife programmes, Coast and for the Hairy Bikers to ride around Europe visiting family & friends and eating great food (oh and making a TV programme about baking). :D

Bryan

Great! Have fun!

I did my entire maths degree with the OU they are absolutely fantastic,

What courses/modules did you enjoy most?

I was looking at S282 but they want £1200 for some course books, a few hours of your tutor's time and some exam marking.

I think that there is more overhead than this.

Don't know how they justify the price.

The government changed the way the open university is funded. See

With a fees increase, just how open will the Open University be? | Marianne Cantieri | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Whatever the reasons, they have priced themselves out of the market. I spent six years doing a maths degree with the OU but I couldn't afford to start one now.

Hi

Hope you enjoy the course and get your qualification. I'm looking at doing the C58 Certificate so am interested to hear from others in the same position. Any chance of an SGL blog to chart your progress and experiences?

I will probably update my little astro-blog (linked to in my sig) with course updates. I have no shame in a good crash and burn! :(

Whatever the reasons, they have priced themselves out of the market. I spent six years doing a maths degree with the OU but I couldn't afford to start one now.

I am so glad I started my degree when I did. The OU's transitional arrangement for fees mean that if you have recently done a course, you keep the old rates until 2017.

What courses/modules did you enjoy most?

I found the statistics modules the most interesting. My degree was in maths and statistics. Though I did particularly enjoy M381 which was on number theory and mathematical logic. The OU are incredibly supportive and when I was due to take exams when my daughter was 4 months old they arranged for me to have an invigilator at my house and take my exams there to allow me to feed my daughter and have breaks when I needed to. I couldn't fault them.

Yes when I did it, 1 year or 60 points cost about £200

wow... this makes me a bit sad...

It is a shame as it stops people learning for pleasure as I wouldn't have minded doing that course but it just costs too much. We could have a new telescope for that :hello2:

exactly. i'd love to do a degree through the OU, but i worked out to do whole degree, it's about 15 grand, which even in the "current economic climate" is, for me, pushing first house deposit money. which is nuts.

I suppose the OU courses are so expensive because someone has to pay for all the David Attenborough wildlife programmes, Coast and for the Hairy Bikers to ride around Europe visiting family & friends and eating great food (oh and making a TV programme about baking). :hello2:

Bryan

You telling us the OU is run by the BBC? didn't know that! :)

Archived