Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M13 : First Stacking Attempt from AP Newbie

coxy322

Hello.

Further to my Ring Nebula (first attempt) I have now attempted the M13 Globular in Hercules. This is my first attempt at stacking images. I took 25x 30 seconds in all to make this.

Stacked in Deep Sky Stacker and processed slightly in GIMP2. Any advice or pointers - I am quite impressed with the detail that comes out when you stack (am just getting over the honeymoon period of just snapping like mad at everything!).

7118601121_7ba8435343_b_d.jpg

Just had another thought Coxy, but I'm not sure how you do this on GIMP.

The colour balance is slightly in the Red so if you can knock that back a bit. In PS it's colour balance set to shadows and moving the slider from Red > Cyan a short way until it looks better.

That tends to lose a bit of the colour so I then knock the saturation up a little bit more.

I'll give it a quick go on your image in PS so you can see what I mean then you can do the same in GIMP.

Flats will take care of the vignet.

Just had another thought Coxy, but I'm not sure how you do this on GIMP.

The colour balance is slightly in the Red so if you can knock that back a bit. In PS it's colour balance set to shadows and moving the slider from Red > Cyan a short way until it looks better.

That tends to lose a bit of the colour so I then knock the saturation up a little bit more.

I'll give it a quick go on your image in PS so you can see what I mean then you can do the same in GIMP.

Flats will take care of the vignet.

[ATTACH]85906[/ATTACH]

That does look better, Spikey. Darker but not with any compromise on the star colour. I assume you mean PhotoShop... don't have that (yet) - am just learning the basics at the moment with free software.

Thanks for the positive remarks guys.

Ash

I'll soon figure it out - am sure given the amount to learn here! I will perhaps post up a blog on my journey from astrophotography novice to amateur once I start getting some better and consistent results that I am more confident with.

Great stuff there! I wish I had that focus just once...

Look out for red or greens to take over a bit - it happens quite often I find. It's relatively easy to adjust though.

Flats are a must really. Of all calibration images a master flat is like your ace of spades!

In terms of processing, well, so much out there! I have used loads of different ones only to finally land on PS, but I do think that Paint Shop Pro represents most bang for the bucks! And even the Canon program is actually great for initial stretching, colour balance and a bit of general tinkering.

I think your images are really good, and I'd predict that one of these days you'll download PS!!

Below I ran your image through the Gradient Xterminator plug in for PS to ditch all that red. Then I followed MartinB's tutorial for selecting the stars only just to give them a boost just for fun!

Looking forward to more of your work!

post-28991-13387776839_thumb.jpg

Archived