Moon Lights

dorado1453

On the nights of 4/23/2012 and 4/24/2012 I was observing the cresent moon at 2030 to 2200 hours CDT both nights using a 10" LX 200 ACF with 2" 35 MM 1 1/4" 26 MM, 18 MM, and 12MM eye pieces. I found 2 stationary lights on the NNE edge of the moon one light is so bright it cast light into the shaded face of the moon several hundred miles. I tested my scope thinking I was looking at a reflection within the scope it self. I panned my scope edge to edge from N to S and E to W and the light never changed in position or brightness. I will obverve this spot again tonight and this time I will get pictures and post them. This is a brand new system I am using and the camara I am still learning about it. The Cannon 600D T3i

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No this was at the very outer edge of the moon NNE side. At first I thought it was a star being eclipsed by the moon but as I watched this for near 2 hours I realised these lights never changed position or brightness. If it had been a star or even another planet it would have disappeared behind the moon completely. I have been watching the moon since I was 7 years old I am now 62 and I have never seen this before untill 2 days ago. I know of nothing on the outer rim of the moon that will cast light several hundred miles onto the shadow of the face of the moon.

Hi Dorado, welcome to the forum!

I don't know for sure, but I don't think that there have been any landings on that part of the Moon to provide a man-made reflective surface. Even if there had been, a metallic object on the surface surely couldn't reflect the suns light over such a distance! Or would the lack of an atmosphere allow light to travel further?

Would have loved to have seen what you are describing. Will keep an eye on this post to see the developments. Hope you manage to capture an image.

Good luck! :)

Bryan

Here is what I took last night 2 pics of the Moon and that light and 1 of Venus enjoy. The light I am refering to is lower left well back from the terminator and is unmistakeable. Three nights in a row now I have seen these lights the faint one cant be seen in the picture but can be seen through my telescope.

post-35925-133877768135_thumb.jpg

post-35925-133877768143_thumb.jpg

post-35925-13387776815_thumb.jpg

Ah yes I can see it now, could this not be the top of the outer edge of a crater that is high enough to catch the sun rays? so everything just below looks like its in darkness if you follow?

I will take a look myself tonight as we should have clear skys tonight and ill report my findings too.

Cheers

Steve

Just a add, I have just blown this picture up and I think I can see a faint trail of light up to this point of light which would suggest its the sun catching something up there maybe as I said in the last post.....I look forward to getting a view of this tonight.

Looks like a peak catching the sun on an angle to me.

I have seen some crazy ones floating in the darkness, further from the terminator than that, much larger, and near enough in the middle of the disk. They were only there for literally an hour or so though, until the sun caught up. It was very eerie though, looked like fragments of the moon had been smashed off and were floating in space around it.

Hello Dorado and welcome to SGL!! I would also say that your lights are reflections from mountain peaks or crater walls catching the early morning (for the Moon) sunlight. As they are so near the Lunar pole those reflections may last considerably longer than the same kind of effect when seen in equatorial regions.

I would agree with everyone above, sunlight catching top of central peak, rim of crater, or mountain ridge.

Great pictures either way! Mine of the Moon last night with the Asda Cam were a little disappointing. :)

Here's to clear nights with no wind!

Bryan

Archived