NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

82 Degree Eyepieces

martin20

I have a Nirvana 28 that I am very happy with.

I've been given an option on an ES82 30mm or Axiom 31mm.

Are either of these a step up from the Nirvana, or are they all pretty even? Worth a change, or not?

I'd be using it in an ED120 f7.5 and an f5 dob. I don't wear glasses for observing.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Other way around I think - the Nirvana would be better than the ES and the Axiom, especially at F/5. The Nirvana is very close to the mighty 31mm Nagler in performance - I've compared the two directly :)

I have a couple of Nirvana's, though not the 28mm, and have considered an upgrade to a certain "premium" brand. Wherever I look it seems the opinion is that there's not much to choose between the Nirvana and the Nagler's, so I'd be surprised if the comparison was much different for the ES or Axiom.

From various posts and forums I would think not.the nirvana/uwan is pretty much the equal of the 31mm nagler. The others are not likely to be too shabby either. I would just save my pennies for other focal lengths, unless you feel the 28mm is just too big.... It gives me the giggles when I get it out of my astro box!

Cheers

PEterW

I had the 28mm William Optics UWAN which is identical to the Nirvana in all but name. I sold it to buy a 26mm Nagler. If I am completely honest all I gained was a slightly lighter and prettier to look (AT!) eyepiece. Optically, where it matters, at least to my eyes, the UWAN matched the Nagler in every way!

I have the mighty Terminagler, but never looked through a Nirvana 28. I chose the 31 as it matches my F/6 scope nicely to give a 5mm exit pupil, and about 10% wider FOV (20% more area of sky). In an F/5 scope, the exit pupil might become a bit too large, yielding more washed out views. That said, a 6mm exit pupil is fine for many if not most of us. I have heard some negative things said about the Axiom, but hear nothing but good of the ES (which I was planning to buy until a secondhand Nagler 31T5 came up).

As others suggest, save money for other focal lengths (in the 11-13mm range there is the lovely 12T4 Nagler, but for non-eyeglass wearers the 14mm Meade Series 5000 UWA is great as well, even though it is just outside that range).

Thanks all for your very helpful input.

I suspected the Nirvana was as good, or better, than the others - but it's nice to see a consensus saying the same thing.

I'll be sticking with my Nirvana 28.

I'll be sticking with my Nirvana 28.

Wise move I think... was in Opticstar today, they had a 31 mil Axiom on display, holy cow! :) never seen an EP that big, it was sat next to a Hyperion, and made it look like a thimble.

Wise move I think... was in Opticstar today, they had a 31 mil Axiom on display, holy cow! :) never seen an EP that big, it was sat next to a Hyperion, and made it look like a thimble.

Whoa lad.....try this one on for size. Ha!

meade30.jpg

Archived