NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Greetings from Bristol, England

GagneDouze

Hi all,

Newbie here. I've been interested in astronomy for a while now but only just getting my first telescope (for my birthday) in the next couple of days. I have read and listened to a lot of reviews and comments about beginner scopes and in line with my budget, I have opted for the SkyWatcher Heritage 130P FlexTube.

I downloaded Google SkyMap for my Android device a few weeks back and loved pin-pointing stars and planets. Also, ever since StarGazing on BBC with Prof. Brian Cox, I think that has pushed me to delve more into the night sky and made me more curious as to what's out there. I appreciate patience and understanding is the key to enjoying this hobby and don't think for one minute that I am going to 'hit the ground running'. I am excited to get going!

I just have a quick question; does anybody recommend any good/interesting books for beginners on the night sky?

Thank you.

Dave

Hello...

Welcome to SGL..

Possibly one of the best books to use in conjunction with your new telescope is called "Turn Left at Orion"...you should find it very helpfull in locating some of the best objects visible with a small telescope...

Steve

Hi dave and welcome to the forum. I would suggest that you take a look at a free bit of planetarium software called Stellarium here as it has lots of features that you might want to use on the computer at home. You can calibrate to your specific location, has a useful date/time advance feature and lots of other "toys" to keep you occupied when the clouds come in!

As you can see I am also from Bristol, so if you want to give me a PM (private message) top right of your screen, I can give you some info on the Bristol astro scene.

Clear skies for the arrival of your new scope!

James

Archived