NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lidl 10x50 bins are back, 9th Apr...£16.99

WayBig

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Picked myself a pair up this morning. I tried them in-store and then again when I got home, I'm actually very impressed with them for the price: A good, sharp, bright image, dioptre focusing and a nice rubberised body with a mounting point for tripods. They come with a pouch and a cleaning cloth too. They're "Auriol" branded; I have no idea if this is a budget rebrand of a better-known make as others have suggested for previous binos they've sold, but I'm, really quite happy with them and look forward to using them on the next clear night!

Picked my pair up this morning too, tested them in store to check collimation and was immediately impressed. As others say, a very sharp bright image, and plenty of adjustment options, including diopter and eye relief, all for a bargain price

I assume these are the same as the Bresser binos they've had in the past (of which I've got a couple of pairs)

They've sold some other 10x50s under another name (Rocktrail, I think) and they didn't seem as good quality.

I bought a pair yesterday and was not all that impressed. They eyepieces are not comfortable and the image is a little lacklustre. For £17 they are good. Would I be happy to pay £50 for the equivalent named brand as these NO! Against my 8 x 40 Olympus DPS R the view and angle are identical so I may sell them.

Still they are great if you have nothing else!

Can anyone explain how to check their collimation in store.
Easiest way is probably to grab two different coloured cellophane sweet wrappers from, say, Quality Street choccies, and observe something distant with a different colour over each side. Any misalignment should be apparent initially, although the brain may eventually converge the images.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

BUMP!

They're back again, pretty much the same time this year as last. Auriol branded as before.

They look and feel almost identical to the Bresser-branded pair I have, even down to the case being the same and coming with the same grey 'cleaning cloth'. The only significant physical difference I've found is that the Auriol's eyecups are notably more rigid, not good when they pinch the nose.

Optically my pair were in collimation and gave clear daytime views without intrusive false colour. I've yet to test them at night. The prisms are BK7 as stated on the box, unlike the Bak4 used by my Bressers, so we know they aren't optically identical.

Provided they don't show any glaring faults at night, for £17 they'll be a nice spare/loaner pair.

Off to aldi in the morning. I bought a pair of 20*50 on holiday that i knew wernt 20*50. Anyway they turned out to be 6*50. Annnnnd I paid almost £30. Haha. So these at nearly half the price sound likexa great buy. Thanks for the heads up.

Can anyone explain how to check their collimation in store. I am completely green when it comes to bins so any advise appreciated.

Easiest thing to do is check you're allowed to take them out of the box then from one end of the shop focus on a bit of one of the bright adverts hanging from the ceiling at the other ... alternately close your eyes (or put your hand in front of the left then right lenses but keep them still) and the image shouldn't move. If the image bounces about up/down or left/right try another pair. WARNING - be prepared for the funny looks! :grin:

I've got two problems with them - they are not that robust (not waterproof and not shock proof), and they've gone up!

If the new version have Bak7 prisms, it's possible that they might not be quite as good at night as the Bressers (Bak4) ... unless they are the actually the same (search on "Bak4 BAk7") and be prepared for confusion. :grin:

AndyG

Archived