Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello All :)

Matthew Kent

Hi there,

Just a quick welcome post to say hello, before I shoot off to bombard you all with questions in the help sections.

I'm Matt, I'm from Wincmore Hill, North London (N21) where the sky is a beautiful pink/yellow colour all night long.

I’ve had a ‘scope for a few years, but it really hasn’t had the use it warranted, until I moved house and decided to keep it somewhere more accessible. So recently I’ve had the scope out and decided to take a first stab at doing some astrophotography.

I’ve got a Vixen 102M refractor on a GP mount with a Sky Sensor 2k, and a 70mm f9 Vixen which I’m intending to use as a guide scope. I’m also building a motorised focuser using an Arduino board and a stepper motor, but that won’t be finished for a while…

Anyhow, nice to meet you all…

Matt

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, being sarcastic (sorry), but it's so light polluted around here I can read the ingredients off the side of a can of fosters at night with no moon. ;)

Not ideal, but I'm stuck with it...

thought you were- i find it hard to tell, apparently i dont have those particular brain parts that detect it:p

that sounds pretty bad- any dark areas that you can get to?

Be sure to toss up some pics with the Vixen, I'm pondering the idea of a decent Refractor.

Not sure the Vixen qualifies as a decent refractor, it suffers from quite a bit of abberation on planets. It's also on a not very good tripod which wobbles (hence the motorised focuser project in progress, and the upcoming project to build a pier to plonk it on in the garden - wife permitting).

If I get some shots, I'll post them...

Matt

Hi Matt and welcome to the forum. You might want to take a look at Steve Richards' "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO 19.95) which is a comprehensive guide on what kit you need and why you need it to take good consistent images. There is a review of it over on the equipment review section which provides more details.

Clear skies and look forward to see your latest images!

James

Archived