NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M51 from SGL7 (Spiral in the mist)

RikM

The thin high cloud made a mess of my 7.5min subs but I'm glad I stuck at it because I got something out of it at least.

rikmcrae-albums-deep-sky-picture16643-m51-close-20120323-mcrae.jpg

What do I need to do to improve this one? I feel I'm lacking colour and sharpness in the galaxy.

Pesky high cloud eh!

The colour and sharpness are good in my opinion.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone around here who is totally 100% happy with their images. When looking at their own images I'm sure many peeps will ponder the 'I wonder if i just ...' train of thought.

;)

Looks good to me Rik you could try using highpass filter with hide all layer mask on the dust lanes but it looks pretty sharp already.

Thanks.

It's already had high pass filter, local contrast enhancement using curves, selective colour tweak, and a saturation boost all layered in using masks. I used match colour set to neutralise on the background. This as far as I felt I could push the data without it turning too noisy.

I think I just need more contrast in the raw data to work with.

Thank you ;) Yes, just shows how stacking really dredges the detail out :)

AND... should give encouragement to beginners to take lots and lots of subs and stack them - the results can be amazing ;)

Rik could you tell more about this? (I'm new to PS)

Cheers

In the final tiff after stretching I ended up with quite bad colour gradients on the right and bottom of the picture. I made a star layer (search martinb's tutorials for this) then duplicated the background and cloned out the galaxy(s). With the duplicate layer selected go to Image->adjustments->match colour. Then you check the box that says 'neutralise' and adjust the colour saturation or colour intensity (can't remember exact name) and decrease it a bit until the background looks better. Then using a layer mask and paintbrush on the mask, let your galaxies show through and set the star layer on top. It is quite easy to get it wrong and end up with a bright red galaxy on a grey background so be gentle is the key.

This is a new technique for me too and I am just learning. there is a nice video tutorial on Astronomy shed that shows how to do it, but I thought they got some bits wrong so tried my own similar way and it seemed to work okay. Next image if I have the same gradients I will try and refine the method. It didn't work with my M101 image though, it made the background too green??? Probably I did something wrong.

Yes, unmodded 1000D+MPCC and 150P single speed on an NEQ6 with a QHY5 finder guider.

I think it's a really nice scope. I have done a couple of trial runs with the 250PX now though and get much smaller sharper stars, so I can see myself doing more with the bigger scope in future. I don't know if that's simply down to the better resolving power of the larger mirror?

I would think it would also have something to do with the fact that youre losing a smaller % in apeture to a central obstruction with the 250, hence more contrast. But having said that, you cant cart out a 250 at a moments notice like you can with the 150P :D

Archived