Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

James

... and another Leo Triplet from SGL7

Here's a quick product of Sunday night at SGL7 which was a little clearer than some of the earlier nights. I only had time for the luminance and will add colour at a later date.

Taken through an FLT-98 using an SXV-H9 there's 25x 5 min subs. The image has been stretched, the dark bits have been a little noise reduced and the galaxies sharpened ever so slightly, all in Pixinsight. I've noticed a little problem with some of the stars in that there appears to be some artefacts around them but I'll hunt the cause of that later!

james-albums-james-foray-into-dark-side-picture16602-leo-triplet-wip-25x-5min-luminance-taken-sgl7-star-party.jpg

bags of detail James....looks like i missed a great star party...oh well theres always next year

Nice work James, in spite of your self critique.

Lots going for this image, not least the detail.

I'm sure you'll tweak out the bits you don't like ;).

Ron.

Nice one james, looks like you had a good couple of nights imaging.

It definitely is begging for colour - unfortunately I suspect that won't happen until next year now....:D

Something to look forward to though :icon_salut:

James

Terrific resolution from the small scope and nice work with the processing.

The star artefacts look like the sort of thing deconvolution can cause especially with microlensed chips (don't now whether the H9 chip has those or not)

The artifacts seem to be occurring during the stacking process in Pixinsight. An updated version came out and a few others have mentioned that it's happening. I'll have a closer look - there may be an option I've missed!

James

Incredible detail! I'm always surprised how much resolution can be gathered form a good quality refractor, even with small-ish aperture! :icon_salut:

The artifacts seem to be occurring during the stacking process in Pixinsight. An updated version came out and a few others have mentioned that it's happening. I'll have a closer look - there may be an option I've missed!

James

Hi the new interpolation in registration is causing this and if you have enough subs they will be rejected:headbang: .

Alter the mode to bicubic spline if its causing a problem

Harry

Edited by harry page

I knew you'd be along Harry :icon_salut: I'll give it a whirl shortly :D

James

Fantastic processing, loads of nice fine detail all the way to the cores.:icon_salut:

Mike.