goody

hi every one,,the names goody im new to this site and also new to gazing,,:icon_salut:just got myself a zennox 900x70 beginners scope , i no wot your thinking, ow dear wot has he done !! :( but it was cheap as chips and its the first time ive seen the moon that close,, just wonderd can i get any eye pieces less than 9mm to fit,also is there any get togethers around lincoln dying to take a peek through someones scope who as spent a big un, thanks for looking !:(

Hi and welcome to the forum. Providing the scope handles the normal 1.25" commercially available eyepieces, you should have no problem purchasing them from any good telescope shop. The focal length of the scope is 900mm which when divided by the focal length of the eyepiece will give you the magnification. I personally wouldn't get an eyepiece smaller than 5mm (x180 magnification) or a 6mm (x150 magnification). There are very few nights when the sky is clear and still enough to go beyond x200 magnification so I wouldn't buy an eyepiece smaller than these. At x180 you will be able to see the bands on Jupiter, its moons, Saturn will look pretty good too not to mention details of the moon.

I don't know of any observing groups over in Lincoln as its not an area that I familiar with, perhaps someone will come along soon to give you more details.

Clear skies for now

James

Hi Goody,

Welcome to the forums.

There are a few members of my local Astro society who go to Lincolnshire for dark sky sites. I'll find out where they are. Maybe other, more local, groups use them too and you can hook up with them.

Hi goody, don't worry about the scope, any start is a good start, as you will get a feel if you may find it a long term interest or not.

You will find loads on info., advice and recommendations / avoidance tips here on retailers, products.

Before I bought my set-up I spent quite a while looking through websites, with advice form retailers also, don't be afraid to ask any questions on here, even if you feel it may be a stupid one, as all here were new to it at one stage, and tbh it is a limitless field of interest, always throwing news things up, products, objects way out there, points of interest and new events.

But be prepared for long nights outside!

Archived