NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How to set up guiding

I'm sure the information is around here somewhere but I'm blowed if I can find it :blob10: I'm looking for an idiot's/beginner's guide to using PHD, ASCOM/EQMOD plus QHY5 for guiding.

I have just received a QHY5 guide camera and have attached it to my 9x50 finder scope using the appropriate adapter ring. So far so good :o The QHY5 comes with driver software - do I need to install this or does PHD have it's own driver built in? I gather that with the EQMOD setup driving the mount, it isn't necessary to get an ST4 cable. I'll probably test the QHY5 with SharpCap or whatever to roughly focus and align the scope with a distant object.

Thank you :p

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<i>"attached it to my 9x50 finder scope using the appropriate adapter ring."</i>

Which adapter rings? I have a 21 year old old 9x50 Celestron finderscope (much better than the new one on my EdgeHD 925) that I'd like to attach my Imaging Source DFK21AU618 to for guiding but taking the eypeiece of the finder out reveals something that is slightly less than a 1.25" housing so won't fit the 1.25" camera. Not sure what the actual size and thread are but would like to know where to see various options. Thanks.

Hi Gina,

I have tried the ASCOM route of guiding via the serial port to the handset of the NEQ6 but found that the ST4 cable was easier and there was less to go wrong.

I plug the ST4 cable directly between the QHY5 and the Guiding port on the mount. (presuming you are using the NEQ6 in your kit list)

Then in PHD , you just have to select the Mount-> On Camera Menu to get phd to directly control your Mount without having to go via EQMOD/ASCOM

I also find that PHD guides easier if you slightly defocus the guide camera. Guess it give it a bigger blob to grab onto

Hope this helps

Cheers John

Basic set up (well one way :blob10: ):

• Install the QHY5 drivers
  • Install PHD
  • Connect USB lead from camera to PC
  • Fire up PHD and click on the camera icon - a list of supported camera's appear and you should be able to select the QHY5 from the list
  • The ASCOM box will appear with a gain setting, leave it at the default 50% for now
  • Click on the scope icon on PHD and the ASCOm box will pop up and allow you to select the mount type. If EQASCOM is not already running it should launch and connect to the mount.
  • Click on the circular arrow icon to start capturing / previewing - you should see some stars if the scope is pointing at a bright star-field, if not then increase the shutter rate from 1s to 1.5s or 2s, or move the slider to change the gain
  • Click on the stop icon then click on the brain icon. Here you can play with the settings - these are covered in other threads so I'll let you search all the PHD threads for those :o
  • With the force calibration box checked, OK out of the settings and click on the arrow button to start previewing again, then select a star as the one to track. A box will appear around the star.
  • Now click on the target icon and a set of cross-hairs will appear through the target star, the lines will be dotted yellow whilst PHD runs through a calibration routine
  • If this completes OK the lines will turn to solid green and PHD will be guiding. If you select the show graph option from the tools menu you'll see how well the guiding is. The idea is to get both lines as flat as possible.
  • If you want to use the ST4 port and cable between the QHY5 and EQ6 then there is an option to select the "on camera" option which basically sends the pulses via the ST4 port rather than the EQDIR / EQDIRECT cable that is normally used to talk to the mount via a PC running EQASCOM (EQMOD)

Hope that helps

<i>"attached it to my 9x50 finder scope using the appropriate adapter ring."</i>

Which adapter rings? I have a 21 year old old 9x50 Celestron finderscope (much better than the new one on my EdgeHD 925) that I'd like to attach my Imaging Source DFK21AU618 to for guiding but taking the eypeiece of the finder out reveals something that is slightly less than a 1.25" housing so won't fit the 1.25" camera. Not sure what the actual size and thread are but would like to know where to see various options. Thanks.

You need an adapter for the guider to C-Mount Bern at Modern Astronomy is the only place i know that sells these.

I'm not sure about connecting a DFK to a finder... but the ring in question that Gina has used came from Bernard at Modern Astronomy

Accessories @ Modern Astronomy

In my PHD the "original" QHY5 (not the QHY5v etc) shows up as Qlabs CMOS camera I use EQMOD/ Carte du Ciel to drive my NEQ6pro, but still use the direct ST4 cable between the guide camera and the mount....creature of habit...

Thanks everyone - that seems exactly what I want :blob10: I'll let you know how I get on.

Any problems with the EQMOD route and I'll buy an ST4 cable from FLO.

I recently had to set this up myself but use the USB to handset route rather than going from the camera to the mount.

• install ASCOM platform
  • install QHY5 ASCOM drivers
  • install Celestron ASCOM drivers (for the SW mount!)
  • install QHY5 Software drivers
  • hook up the QHY5 camera and test it works - making a note of the USB port you plugged it into!
  • install PHD and QGvideo
  • Use a USB to serial converter, and plug the synscan serial cable into that and the handset
  • Connect the USB QHY5 camera (carefully to the same port you previously used)
  • Fire up QGvideo, set the video capture to ~1 or 1.5 seconds and when you're doing the star alignment on the mount, use that time to fiddle around with the guide focus to get your stars visible.
  • When it's aligned, shut down QGvideo start up PHD and get going.

Some mistakes I've unashamedly made in the past include, but are not limited to:

• Not taking a dark in PHD and trying to guide on a dead pixel.
  • Plugging the QHY5 into a different USB port than the one I previously configured it to be on and nuking the EEPROM.
  • Hitting the go button in PHD and starting long exposures, without realising it has to calibrate and move the mount around a bit for several minutes before it starts guiding.
  • Not using a big enough calibration step in PHD (brain icon) and thus not guiding because the star wouldn't move far enough during calibration.

Hope that helps,

Thank you :(

I have installed everything and tested the camera with the QGVideo app. Working but well out of focus indoors and too much light to get it working in daylight outdoors - totally swamped even with the gain turned right down. So I'll have to wait for dark.

The QHY5 is picking up plenty of stars with the gain turned up and the time set to around 1500ms. If this represents the exposure, I can see why I didn't pick up any stars with a webcam. The webcam won't go to a low enough frame rate.

Been giving it a try. Said it couldn't calibrate - star did not move enough. Mind you, I am only using 30sec subs on M42 and the tracking is pretty much taking care of movement :(

Gina - ive had that, it was a hot while pixel, i was trying to lock onto.

really test your focus, anything out by much & it won't show at all. So point towards a really bright one (even venus at the mo), get it focused & locked into position (never move my guide focus point - even when putting away for the night)

If PHD calibration fails because the star isn't moving far enough then increase the 'calibration step' in PHD's settings. PHD will send out a maximum of 60 guide pulses during calibration, the calibration step determines how long each pulse lasts. The longer the pulse the greater the movement that will be observed. If that doesn't do the trick try guiding at a higher resolution or increase the guide rate.

Chris.

Gina

If it helps.. My neq6/EQDir, ED80 & 9x50 with QHY5 or SX CoStar uses these settings with a 3sec exposure time. Takes around 12- 15 mins to calibrate. Not had to change settings since last winter.

Thank you :( Used your settings, took a dark and... It's guiding :( Yippee :)

Thank you to everyone else too :)

Thank you :( Used your settings, took a dark and... It's guiding :) Yippee :)

Great stuff.. I always find a picture's worth a thousand words..

That is a handy thought, you just get so used to making sure focus is spot on ....

Yup.. it also helps you to differentiate between bad pixels.. saves doing darks.. mind you I know my BP's off by heart by now :(

Archived