Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HELP - ETX90 or Nexstar 4 SE

I am looking for some advice. I am looking for a 3-4" GOTO (portability a requirement) and had thought of a Meade ETX90. I 'phoned Steve (FLO) and he suggested a Celestron Nexstar 4 SE. He said it was less expensive (by £100), had more aperture (102mm vs 90mm) and might be more reliable. That was a very honest assessment by Steve, cause if I take his advice, he loses a sale.

I am in a quandry. The purchase is for my local Astro Soc as a quick "grab n' go" for members, but also something than can be set up in minutes for public outreach events. I (and others in my local Astro Soc) know the ETX90, but have no experience of the Celestron Nexstar SE series.

CAN ANYONE HELP?

Are the Nexstar SEs good value? What are the optics like? Is the GOTO reasonably accurate?

If anyone out there has one, or experience of one - please give me your views.

If I buy a "pup" with my Astro Soc's money, my life wont be worth living.

Thanks in advance

Tom

From my experience I'd go with the Celestron. No contest. I own an ETX125 which has given me many challenges - erratic motors mainly which make the goto temperamental and frustrating. Its poorly designed and its also noisy. I now own a Celestron Nexstar 8 GPS. The goto is very reliable - I have never so far failed to align first time! and it is so much quieter. I also think (but Steve can confirm) that the NS4/5 have a dovetail so you could use the mount for other scopes too (unlike the ETX which is limited because of the forks).

HTH

Helen

PS you might find this post useful http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?topic=14642.msg156427#msg156427

I also think (but Steve can confirm) that the NS4/5 have a dovetail so you could use the mount for other scopes too (unlike the ETX which is limited because of the forks).

Yes, it does. Ideal for a short-tube refractor.

That was a very honest assessment by Steve, cause if I take his advice, he loses a sale.

Not necessarily - FLO stocks both :D

Meade ETX 90 PE

Celestron Nexstar 4 SE

Perhaps the key point is: For about the price of an ETX90 PE, you can buy a Nexstar 5 SE.

And there was me thinking you were being all noble Steve :lol: One way or another, a sale will wing its way to you next week.

Thanks Husher - I am tending towards the Celestron, both on price and aperture, but I have to wait for the go-ahead from my Astro Soc - it's their money.

Any other thoughts out there in SGL Land?

Tom

Hi Tom

I have the 6SE and am fairly local to you. If you want to give the build quality, optics, ease of use, etc the 'once over' you're welcome to come round, if and when we get a clear night before you have to make your purchase. Bearing in mind that the 4SE is a mak and not an SCT. PM me if you want to meet up.

Cheers Martin

I had the Nexstar 4 briefly and I was mighty impressed with it too. The optics on the 4" Mak were superb....very sharp with excellent contrast. Saturn was superb through the 4 but also the major deepsky objects weren't a disappointment either. As Helen said, the motors were quiet and the GOTO accurate. The ability to mount a different scope really has to be the icing on the cake.

Trouble is I couldn't tell you how good an ETX is, never used one. The ETX 90 is a legendary scope, so it's got to be pretty good.

Russ

Remember the ETX models dont come off the fork mount - so when setting up you need to lift the whole unit onto the tripod, then fiddle with screws to hold it in place. It's irritating, especially in comparison to the simplicity of the Celestron models.

I'd think you can also use the SE mount to take other scopes too.

I have no experience with the celestron scopes......but I am an unfortunate owner of an ETX 90. Super optics....rubbish engineering. All I can say is that the 90 is overpriced noisy plastic tat. And I really am holding back. So much so that I will never buy a meade scope of any kind again....ever! :D

JV

Thanks everybody - I am getting the message loud and clear.

Martin - I will PM you - may wish to bring a " Celestron doubter" from my Astro Soc with me.

The consensus seems to be, "Why by an ETX90 when you can but a NS4 for much less or NS5 for the same money - either would give you what is reckoned to be a better 'scope.

Tom

Archived