Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which DSLR?

hayju01

Ok so my Canon S50 has finally packed up, eats battery power in minutes. Tried a replacement battery and still no joy and I have just had the 'ok' from the misses to buy a new one.

Being totally honest we don't use a camera much but with 4 kids there are times when we do for those special occasions.

Of course I could replace it with another point and click digital but being a tech and astro head I'm thinking why not go for a 'proper' DSLR so I can hook it up to my scope at some point.

I've not started looking at whats out there but will start researching here and on the rest of the web tomorrow.

But for now I open it up to you guys to throw your ideas and comments my way?

Thanks,

Justin

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Suggestions include:

Canon 1100D - cheapest new Canon DSLR

Canon 600D - tilting screen can be handy for odd viewing angles

Canon 1000D/450D - cheapest used models with live view

Why Canon? There does seem to be more software available for remote controlling them if that's what you want to do. No 1st hand experience with Nikon but I hear they do something funny with their raws (noise reduction you can't turn off) which can be a hindrance in processing.

Why live view models? - it can help a lot with getting the focus right compared to viewfinder only models.

ive just ordered a 550d and twiddling my thumbs waiting for it to turn up. have been trying to use a nikon D70 but the screen is sooooo small and it takes an age to process raw images before saving them to the CF card (and the fact it uses CF cards which i dont have a slot for on my laptop). not planning on modding the canon just yet - will see how it goes unmodded first.

With 4 kids (and a wife) in the house, may I suggest you invest 20 quid in a flight case.

DSLRs attract accessories like nobody's business. Having a dedicated, large and padded container for all the bits will stop them getting lost and with luck keep the camera + lenses from getting damaged.

The case contains "cubed" foam. You pluck out the 1cm cubes to make shapes that the various parts fit into.

Toward the end of last year I retired one of my 300D's and purchased a 600D and to date I have been very very happy. The large flip and tilt screen is a real blessing for astro work as you don't have to contort yourself into medically impractical positions to use the live view mode. Focusing while on an OTA is made very simple as you can digitally zoom in on your target star to make very fine adjustments.

I have also installed Magic Lantern onto the memory cards. This has a very useful feature for astro work as you can program the camera to take a number of shots with predetermined durations and more or less negates the need for a remote shutter release.

I also tested the HD video capability on Jupiter using just a 70-300mm zoom lens. The video sequence was converted to AVI and

then processed in Registax. The result was no-where near what can be achieved with a suitable telescope but a crop of the final image did show the presence of some planetary detail.

Regards

Nidge

Otley, West Yorkshire.

Thank you all for your input very useful. I suspected the manufacturer of choice would be canon and I am glad to see that there aren't too many choices :(

Flight case purchase is noted and a great idea.

Tilt screen is certainly worth considering, although I'm getting used to 'odd' contortions with my polar scope.

And 'Liveview' is a must have.

Thanks all now to break the cost to the better half!!!!

Justin

Oh yes indeed :( They use liveview to let vibrations die away before exposure. And this way you don't need the camera screen at all framing and focus can all be done on a nice big computer monitor with zoom to assist further in focussing. Also means you can get all the benefits for AP with the cheapest Canon EOS camera, the 1100D :(

I bought an Astronomiser modded 1000D last year,hardly been used.

Spend all my time doing astroscapes with my Canon 5DMKII.Lost interest in AP through the scope which is why i bought the modded camera in the first place,its just gathering dust in the box it came in.Have an Astronomik light pollution filter for it as well.

P.M me if its of any interest to you.

Just sold it,thanks.

• 1 month later...

One more question on this topic. Will I need to the camera modded from day 1 or is it still useable for astro without mod?

I guess so cus otherwise, once modded its no use for normal photography correct?

One more question on this topic. Will I need to the camera modded from day 1 or is it still useable for astro without mod?

I guess so cus otherwise, once modded its no use for normal photography correct?

You can use an unmodded camera for AP.

The mod makes the camera more sensitive at the red end of the spectrum, so you can use a modded camera for normal photography - you just have to play with custom white balance on the camera or tweek the colour balance of your images in something like photoshop.

Oh yes - and another vote for the 1000d.

Steve

Thanks Steve.

so here goes another question so that i have this in my arsnel for when i try and justify purhcase to the 'govner'

What makes Canons the 'preferred' AP camera?

I have seen small mentions of Nikon but very little about Sony and £/MP I am told the Sony wins out.

I can reccommend the Canon 600D, the articulated screen is a great help for all shooting angles, this is the time to buy one. You can get them for around £550 with the 18-55mm lens, and then you can apply for £50 cashback from canon.

To me its canon all the way, my first one was the EOS rebel (300D) from then on Canon XTi , XSi and T2i... all of which are great astro cameras. My XSi is full Spectrum mod.

the one battery will last 2 hours of 180 Subs or more/

Mitch

... Canon XTi , XSi and T2i... all of which are great astro cameras.

On balance, Is the T2i (550D) significantly better than the XSi (450D)? My reading of Gary Honis' data here and here is that it may not be. What do you think?

Andrew

i do have both , and i tend to notice the XSI has lower SNR on longer exposure, and .. when im using live view the T2i tends to overheat the CMOS and close the shutter , i dont have that problem with the XSi, i can leave it open as long as i want. if need be.

but in terms of "better then" thats a personal choice and dont forget 12M to a 18M on the T2i. in terms of resolution...IMO ;)

Mitch

Just found this is there much difference between the 1000 and 1100?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0030IEMXU/ref=asc_df_B0030IEMXU7822998?smid=AWG0MOB5S0A1M&tag=pricerunner-ce-3p-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B0030IEMXU

Also possible to get this With just 18-55 for £100 less but figured this was cheaper than buying the additional lense separately.

Thoughts?

Archived