NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which DSLR?

hayju01

The 1100D is a later model using a better processor chip (Digic 4 v Digic 3) with lower noise and more data bits (14bits data depth rather than 12). More data depth copes better with a wide variation in brightness within an object.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thinking about getting a 600D, but I already have a (admittedly cheap) 12MP digital camera (from LG). Will the quality of the 600D be a great improvement over my existing 12MP LG?

I'd hate to spend hundreds on the 600D to find out that it's not much better than my 12MP LG for taking photos of the planets. :/

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your advice, especially Gina.

I placed the order for 1100D this afternoon and just got notification it will arrive tomorrow :-D

will be keeping an eye our for a discount flight case from Maplin once i see exactly how big it is and measured against my three exisiting flight cases.

Any recommendations on memory cards for these?

I have experience of certain cards not working in certain kit or being slower.

Well it (1100d) arrived yesterday and so far I am very pleased with it.

I have a couple of observations, these are not critisms

1. While trying widefield shots I did wish i'd gone for the 600d with the acticualkted screen :-) (I just couldnt justify and extra £200)

2. (newbie ignorance) disappointed that there's no zoom, made me realise how fantastic my little PS S50 really was :-) As I say my ignorance about DSLRs and proper photography

3. Very pleased with the weight and build

Any suggestions on a decent zoom lens would be much appreciated. I'm looking to take 'long distance' landscape shots so maybe I'm after telephoto lens. Who knows? still learning :-)

2. (newbie ignorance) disappointed that there's no zoom, made me realise how fantastic my little PS S50 really was :-) As I say my ignorance about DSLRs and proper photography

What lens did you get with it? The standard kit lenses have zoom, although not massive amounts of it.

Any suggestions on a decent zoom lens would be much appreciated. I'm looking to take 'long distance' landscape shots so maybe I'm after telephoto lens. Who knows? still learning :-)

Assuming you're on a tight budget the EF-S 55-250 IS is the value choice and can be yours with change from £200 if you shop around. You can always pay more from there!

Yes the std EF-S 18-55 (non-IS) version and yeas it has a very amount but having been used to x12 with the powershot its quite a difference :-)

That's exactly the lens I had my eye on but wasnt too sure. thanks for confirming :-)

The one in 2nd link is a newer version (indicated by II) but it is generally believed they didn't change the optical performance, it's probably just cosmetic and perhaps allows them to optimise manufacturing.

Also note the 2nd one isn't sold by Amazon themselves, but one of their marketplace traders, even if it will ship from Amazon's warehouse.

Oops, one of those things where I didn't see there was a second page!

Are we at war over CCD versus DSLR? :(

Olly

:)

I started this thread because I needed to replace the family camera so Dslr was the way to go, but I wanted to have the flexibility to attach to my scope. What appeals with Dslr is to me at least is that if I'm pushed for time I can use it rather than the extra that comes with a Ccd - laptop, more cables etc - not ignoring the fact that I 'could' have all this extra 'stuff' with a Dslr but I don't have to. I also want to do some wide field as well.

I have 3 CCDs and 2 webcams so it's ok Olly your not on your own in this war :evil6: although I suppose your could call be a double agent :)

Archived