Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

40 year old scope

tonyh66

Been offered a 40 year old scope, seller says it has 6 inch, 1/10th wave mirror but its an absolute wreck, mirrors need recoating and its been stood outdoors for x number of years. Should I buy it??

post-23749-133877751705_thumb.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least dont pay more than the scrap metal would be worth. If you have the time/patience/money to restore and thats your cup of tea than go for it. Just make sure you know what your getting yourself into.

£30

The mirrors will cost £100 to get recoated

I was hoping the focuser would be useable, the tripod looks sturdy and the mount is probably seized beyond repair.

haven't seen it in the flesh yet, might offer him £10 I'd love to do it up.

If he is as sentimental obout much of the old stuff lying in his attic as I am then he is not after the money! he's set the price above a level where the buyer will actually care for the item and make an effort to do it up as he wants to see it get a new life!

I've sold stuff in the past I would rather have just given away but i wouldn't be able to ensure the buyer really wanted to 'care' for it unless there was a price involved!!.

make sense?

Marco.

Wreck is the right word. That will need a lot of work. Check it out thoroughly otherwise you have an expensive piece of scrap metal on your hands. Even if the mirror can be recoated, I would bet the mirror cell adjustments (collimation screws) have rusted solid, and likewise for the secondary. Getting a new spider is quite costly, but you can make a new one yourself. As it is a 6", add up all the costs and compare to a new or secondhand Skywatcher 150PL (as it looks an F/8 to me).

There's no economic reason for buying it.

Even if you were considering buying a NEW 6" 1/10 wave reflector, once you've costed in your time - even at the minimum wage and the price of recoating and all the other bits, this is a white elephant. Worse: while you are "restoring" :) it, it's taking up valuable space that could be used for a working telescope!

There's no economic reason for buying it.

Even if you were considering buying a NEW 6" 1/10 wave reflector, once you've costed in your time - even at the minimum wage and the price of recoating and all the other bits, this is a white elephant. Worse: while you are "restoring" :) it, it's taking up valuable space that could be used for a working telescope!

Sounds sensible to me.

Mounts always come with tripods so I can't see another tripod being of much benefit.

Gina got a good point. I'd say if your not willing to put up the money and to do a restore then I'd pass completely on it. If the tripod was some great hidden classic then thats different, but doesnt look like anything special.

£30

The mirrors will cost £100 to get recoated

don't coat on it ! judging from the initial appearance I'd be surprised if a recoat is all it 'd need-most probably strip re-polish and re-coat- a fair bit more than £100 quid . Unless he gives it to you walk away !

Archived