Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M81 and M82

I've observed these two galaxies many times but have always preferred the binocular view where I can get them both in the same field of view. It never occurred to me that it would be possible to see them both at the same time in the telescope. Tonight while looking for Comet Garradd I put the f/6.3 focal reducer on the CPC1100 and used a Celestron X-cel 40 mm eyepiece. To my surprise and delight I could just fit 81 and 82 into the same FOV. What a beautiful sight - 81 had a bright nucleus with haze encircling it showing a hint of spiral structure. End on 82 revealed its central dust lane and the brighter star forming patches.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ive only viewed a handful of galaxies,and these are the pair that stand out more than any of the others in a small telescope. at x31 in my 90mm refractor, they both sit in the f.o.v quite easily.

wish more galaxies were that easy to see .

I tried starhopping finding them last night here on SGL7 and failed.

I'll try again tonight...

Perry on mobile (so blame strange words on text prediction!)

strangely enough same thing happened to me last night - from my light polluted back garden no problems getting them in the same FOV in a 25mm lens- but last night try as I might (on a mountain in Brecon - much better than my garden of course) just could not find them.:)

I have found them very difficult at times, took me literally years of trying to find them with my 6" newt but now they are quite easy. I have a fairly fool proof star hop to them so I know where they should be! Finding them I guess depends on lp. I succeed most times these days, even in the 66mm from my garden.

I follow the line of upsilon and 23 Ursa Major up to a small triangle of stars which are rho and sigma 1 and 2. I follow the line of these two up to 24 which forms a line with two other stars, one dim which is close to 24, and one bright slightly farther away. Then, from the seconds brighter star, just head a similar distance in the direction of lambda draco and there you are :blob10:

I will post this elsewhere too, but was up on Dartmoor last night. The transparency wasn't very good but it was certainly dark! Just had the 106mm apo with me, but the two of them looked wonderful in the same field of view with the 31mm nagler which gives a 3.6° field of view.

I find m82 takes magnification better so tried the 13 mm ethos on it, looked great. Some mottled detail coming through.

Good luck tonight

Stu

Thanks for the tips,

TLAO instructions seems easy enough, using Pecdha and Dhubhe. I do have a inadequately 30mm straight finder though. Been holding out, I think an investment would be wise, what's the use of a telescope if you can't find anything!

Well here I am a few hours later got a RACI finder from Neil.

Yeah I don't expect the galaxy to be in the finder, but at least I can place Dubhe...

I guess they would be obvious in the 16x70 Michael :blob10: very handy.

Perry, give my star hop a try if you can make sense of it! I think it leads you to them quite nicely.

Somewhere I have a broken pair of 20 x 80 bins which I got off Astroboot for £ 10. One option is to use the objective part and an old diagonal to make a mega finder :o

Stu

Any luck last night Perry?

I reckon the problems are mainly due to the rubbish transparency at the moment. Clear skies but nit many stars :blob10:

Stu

Well with the help mdstuart everything looks simple :o

M81 M82 nicely framed in 24mm Hyperion.

Also using SkEye Android Indirect Mode strapped to the Dob helps a lot

M81..I go from the top right star in the Plough. Then follow a little string of stars around to the right and up to what looks like a crossbow of stars.. Then go with the bolt just past a little triangle of stars to the left and voila..

Well it works for me...

Practice practice practice is the only way without goto..

Well....just popped out with the 15x50is bins, and following my star hop I managed to get them both! That's the first time I've managed it from home which is on the edge of town. Sky conditions not great either so am well pleased.

I tried to get M65/66 but no luck. I need to check their location more carefully and try again, I only managed the other two because I knew exactly where to look, they were pretty tough and easily over looked. I guess M81/82 are also much higher in the sky currently which helps

Stu

This time of year when the sky is clear M81-82 are on my observing list every session. I can see them(albeit small) in my 10x50, then I move up to my 12x60's,then in my SV80 Nighthawk and when I have out the big scope Meade 10in. SCT. They are like old friends now. Sometimes I start with them, sometimes I finish with them. They're a great pair and the "newbies" love 'em too! Clear skies to all . JMR

Hi All

I am still trying to find these ellusive little beggars. Am also after M51 as well but after five or six attempts still no joy (just a very stiff neck) I have been using a pair of 12x50 bins and wonder how small they some up in these? Am I likely to be able to see these with the bins?

I will want to train my Refractor on it soon as well but knowing where they are with bins is always my first excercise, then the finder then the scope.

BTW I am doing the Moore Marathon 55 April challenge and am now doing the harder objects(30 down 25 to go!) It says both are best seen with a scope.

Cheers Chris

Archived