Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Devon's dark skies?

Nyx

I am looking for anyones suggestions on good dark locations within about 30 minutes of Exeter. My scope is quite large on an EQ5 so I'm being a bit fussy to try to find some spots with nearby parking. Oh and I would really like some all round vision if it's not asking too much.

Any ideas?

Pretty much anywhere on Dartmoor will be good. I stay in Ashburton occasionally and you can drive up onto the moor and find somewhere to park off the beaten track so shouldn't have to take the scope far from the car. Best to take someone with you, and don't jump when a pony sneaks up on you :)

Stu

Hi there, my wife and I recently returned from staying at a lovely farm cottage in Exmoor National Park, this is huge area that has recently been designated a protected dark skies area. It was amazing the skies were incredible, I would get a land ranger map of the area and use that to aid finding a suitable location.

I'll pass on the link I was given when asking a similar question:

Car Parks of Devon II - Google Maps

Hound Tor carpark is great, it's all tarmac so you can just park and setup. I've been there a few times and no one else has come by. It's not all round vision but you have a good south to east views and it's level with virtually no wind, which is hard to find on Dartmoor. As far as West to North, there are some trees but unless you're skirting the horizon you should be ok. I got there about 9.30pm on the 3rd this month and Jupiter, which sets behind the trees, was visable till after 10. If you rewind time in stellarium you can see what the West-North horizion is like at 10pm and use Jupiter as a level.

Wind Tor has 360 degree views but you're very exposed to the elements.

Well I decided on Dartmoor last night and was overwhelmed by the stars on show without the scope. I think it is definitely going to be worth trialling different view points - last nights beat my back garden 1000 times over.

Anyone any ideas around Dawlish, Kenton or Haldon?

Where abouts on the Moors did you go last night?

Reason I ask is I stayed local and had trouble with mist and fog patches but I may try Dartmoor somewhere tonight as the weather is looking similar to yesterday.

Where abouts on the Moors did you go last night?

Reason I ask is I stayed local and had trouble with mist and fog patches but I may try Dartmoor somewhere tonight as the weather is looking similar to yesterday.

Mike, I ended up in a small car park at Hay Tor. This being classed as my first proper nights viewing I shall be posting more detail elsewhere but suffice to say the view was brilliant (except when a few cars drove by) and it was a little chilly. Luckily I was just packing up (around 10pm) when the fog engulfed me! That said as I drove down to the main car park it was slightly lower and clear of the fog. All in all though next time I will look for a spot with less passing traffic.

Sidmouth's Norman Lockyer Observatory isnt too far from Exeter, they have an astronomy group which meets every Friday at 7.30pm

Thanks, might give it a go once I have struggled alone a little longer!

Have to agree with you there James, Exmoor will have to wait for a weekend of fine skies - does that ever happen?

I'm hoping I have found decent spot of the Teignmouth Road, Just waiting for some clear skies to test it!

Thanks, might give it a go once I have struggled alone a little longer!

I too would give the NLO a try. Don't struggle alone, it's great having other knowledgeable people around to help, advise and encourage.

Another plug for the NLO. We have regular Friday night meetings for observers and imagers. Newcomers are always welcome. When the sky is clear quite a few people have their scopes out till the early hours. It's not that far from Exeter.

Allan

Heading down to Ashburton later in the week for a few days. Will take the apo with me and have agreement from the mrs for one nights observing ;). Let's hope it's clear so we can head up onto the moor

Stu

Heading down to Ashburton later in the week for a few days. Will take the apo with me and have agreement from the mrs for one nights observing ;). Let's hope it's clear so we can head up onto the moor

Stu

That's great! You should look at my carparks link for places to observe, Hound Tor and Wind Tor are very close, I drive through Ashburton to get to them. Fantastic viewing.

Will do, thanks very much Benjii, fingers crossed for clear skies now.

Just need to work out how to keep the mrs entertained and warm in the dark for a few hours. A furry hat and a bottle of Chardonnay are about as far as I've got ;)

Stu

Archived