Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New turn left book.

Has anybody bought the new version of Turn Left At Orion ? silly question, I know someone must have. Apparently from what I have heard its a bit of a different animal. The edition I have is the previous version and it is great but generally geared towards smaller scopes up to about 80mm.

I heard that in these days of Dobsonian ownership ie larger affordable scopes that many more targets have been added with this in mind. Is this true ?

So my question is: has anyone compared the last two editions ? and would it be worth me buying the new one ?

Appreciate any advice guys.

1) Larger format. 250mm x 300 mm, 256 pages.

2) Soft (card) backed, ring bound.

3) Considerable increase in objects described - around 200 NGC objects described, 20 or so Struve objects, and many more additions.

4) Parallel descriptions of view through a Dobsonian

Hope this helps

Jim.

Just to add my couple of pence, I was lucky enough to get this for my birthday a couple of weeks ago. It's significantly better than the older versions, and as others have said it is a larger format and has much more information specifically for dobsonians. Besides the new parallel small scope / dob views, there are also detailed extra sections specifically catering to the extra resolving power of dobsonians - more detail on clusters, extra pages on double stars and updates to the existing entries. It also has some new coverage of southern hemisphere objects.

I'm curious as to what the difference is between a Newtonian Reflector on a Dobsonian mount and Newtonian Reflector on any other mount that means they need to have information specific to them added !!

I don't own the book myself but I had a look at the table of contents and some of the actual pages via "Search inside this book" at Amazon.

There are entries for Dobsonian mounts as well as "other" Newtonian mounts such as alt-az and equatorial.

This would seem to cover your needs?

I don't own the book myself but I had a look at the table of contents and some of the actual pages via "Search inside this book" at Amazon.

There are entries for Dobsonian mounts as well as "other" Newtonian mounts such as alt-az and equatorial.

This would seem to cover your needs?

Hi Grunthos ...

I followed your link, and read the intro, it still refers to the "Dobsonian design" as if it's somehow different to a Newt, which it's not.

I don't get it :D

There will be zero difference in views between Dob and GEM mounted newts of equal aperture.Dobsonians are more affordable and therefore more appealing to the beginner, i think that's why they focus there

Look at the amount of 'I want/have a new Dob' posts on SGL to see the popularity

Hi Marc ....

I get the affordability/popularity thing, I own a newt on a dob mount myself and the price was a major factor in influencing my buying it.

What I don't get is this "re-classification" for want of a better word.

Even Orion (USA) and Skywatcher themselves have the categories Refractors, Reflectors, and Dobsonians on their website.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm finding it odd :D

Hi Nick,

I think the original book was geared towards scopes of upto 80mm and the updated version includes info that is useful for people with larger aperture scopes. It just so happens to be that the most popular (by being the most affordable) is a dobsonian-mounted newtonian, but it's really the aperture size that's the important bit. :D

I have the new one and it's big, the cover means you can't fold the book back on itself though which is something I buy ring binder books for.

It does fold fully back on itself - but with the "spine" making a small lump between the front and back covers.

Jim.

Archived