Newbie £400 scope advise.

Hiya guys,I've only just joined today and thought I'd ask for some advise.

I've always wanted to try astronomy and recently I decided its time to start reading up on it and I'm looking to buy my first scope next week.

My budget for the scope alone is £400.

My goals are to look at our own solar system as well as deep space.I'm trying not to expect too much in terms of what can or can't be seen,but I do want something decent for a beginner.

I would like to simply learn where everything is and learn from book and forums,as opposed to using a goto system.I'm a hands on kind of guy.

I'm not planning on doing any photography with my first one so it's not a priority,and I don't mind the size of my first purchase.

I plan on getting any accessories separate to my budget based on what advise anyone can give.

Anyway the 2 I've seen that appeal are the Explorer 200p and the Skyliner 200p.

Are these any good for a beginner?

Would you advise something else?

Any guidance is much appreciated.

Regards.

Danny.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There very popular, the Explorer requires a mount which add to the cost but would allow for following the target DSO, so you pop in for a cuppa when you come out its still in the FOV, the Skyliner is a Dob, so you need to nudge it the right direction, you go for a cuppa tea, when you come back your DSO is nowhere to be seen.

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian

Bit more expensive...

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 200P EQ5 GOTO

Hi Danny, welcome to the forums. Both of these are very good scopes, I have variations of both but my 200pds is on an eq mount which is a lot trickier than the skyliner which is a dobsonion. Dobsonion's are easier as you just set it up and point at what you want to look at, great for learning the sky and easy to nudge and follow objects as they move across the sky. An EQ mount which I think the explorer comes with involves polar aligning, and being a contortionist but will follow objects by adjusting the RA. Both have advantages but if I was to be honest, I wish I had started with a dob

You would not regret either of the scopes you mention. The 200p Skyliner must be the most popular scope in the country, and its easy to see why. The more aperture you can get for your money the happier you will be. I had a choice between the 200p Dob and the 250px I ended up going for the 200p and used the left over £s to buy a good 2inch E.P. And I have not regretted my choice. Oh and welcome to SGL.

How about a tal 150p , I am currently deciding on this or an orion optics xp6l , the tal has excellent reviews and comes with a decent finderscope and eyepiece on a very sturdy mount, available from

flo( first light optics) on the link above

The Skyliner 200P Dobsonian is as good a first scope as you will ever get for visual observation of both planets and deep sky objects. If this is your first scope, it would be a better choice than the 250PX, which needs a bit more looking after to get the best results and more expensive eyepieces etc.

How about a tal 150p , I am currently deciding on this or an orion optics xp6l , the tal has excellent reviews and comes with a decent finderscope and eyepiece on a very sturdy mount, available from

flo( first light optics) on the link above

the tal is a beautiful scope with lovely optics and absolutely bombproof. however for better value you can't beat the 200p dob. better views and cheaper its' the best in class by a long way if the tal was a £100 cheaper I would be tempted because I think it's a lovely scope but against a 200p and that price differential no contest

Another vote for the 200p Skyliner - bear in mind if your budget is £400 and the Dob is £270 - £130 would buy a cheshire, a barlow and perhaps 2 good BST lens - that would kit you out for a fair while although there is so much you Can buy in this hobby it would be easy to double it and still be wanting more - anyway - good luck with your choice and welcome to SGL

Thanks for the replies and welcomes guys.

Yes I just downloaded the turn left at Orion and it looks a great read.

It definately sounds like the Dob 200 is the way to go,or maybe the 250 if the 200 is out of stock everywhere.

So is there any accessories that I should get?

I don't know what all the extras are for but if I need anything extra I'll order them the same day.

Danny.

Assuming you want to blow the remaining £130 Danny I personally would go

Cheshire Colimator - Newtonians need to be colimated at some point so @ £30

a Tal Barlow or if you can't source one the Skywatcher Premium - Tal @ £40 SW Premium @ £30 - the barlow will effectively double the range of magnification for each of your lens.

I think then I'd get 2 BST Explorers @ £40 each perhaps a 18mm and an 15mm - together with the stock eye pieces and the Barlow that would cover

25mm, 18mm,15mm,12.5mm,10mm ,9mm,7.5mm, 5mm - although the stock 10mm lens is not to everyones approval.

So £270 + £30 +£30 +£40 +£40 = £410 - if you could squeeze another £30 out I'd get a stool or some kind of observing chair aswel as your back can get a bit stressed with a DOB - another £35 would get a Telrad aswel which would make finding things easier - another £10 would get a lazer pointer to show off at start parties - see how this starts to add up :0)

£400 is a great budget to start with - enjoy and good luck

Thanks for the replies and welcomes guys.

Yes I just downloaded the turn left at Orion and it looks a great read.

It definately sounds like the Dob 200 is the way to go,or maybe the 250 if the 200 is out of stock everywhere.

So is there any accessories that I should get?

I don't know what all the extras are for but if I need anything extra I'll order them the same day.

Danny.

Mate, if that copy of Turn left is an Ebook download, what you just purchased is an out of date copy of turn left. There isn't an up to date one on ebook yet. I know, I bought it, and when I started reading I noticed all the dates and positions were from 2000 to 2010. You need the hard copy for an up to date one, and they're on Amazon for about 15 quid. look for 4th edition. Try to get a refund on the ebook, I did, but I noticed within a couple of hrs and I can't remember the cooldown time you're allowed for refunds. You may be too late.

The ebook version if TLAO is still a good purchase - only the planet positions are out of date and they are easy to find using one of the many planetarium program - Stellarium

Is a favourite.

The real benefit of TLAO is that it sets your expectations of what you see thorough the eyepiece and finder scope and shows you how to star hop to the object.

I haven't seen the latest spiral bound edition but I'm on my third copy of the earlier edition - first two were hardback editions which I gave to friends who were getting started and I finally bought the ebook version to stop me giving it away!!

HTH

Paul

I've just ordered the paper version so I've got the up to date version.

If I order 2 eye pieces when I order the scope what would you guys recommend?

I've been browsing through them but I can't tell the good ones from the bad ones.

Danny.

depends on your budget again Danny - In retrospect if I had my time again I think I would go for the Baader Hyperion Zoom, 5 different focal lengths- if you got a Barlow for @ £35 you would have 10 different focal length eye pieces plus you stock eyepices which again could be barlowed. Costs about £165 from FLO I think (B Hyperion zoom that is)

Other than that I would look at the BT Explorers and a barlow I think - don't rush into it though - perhaps just get a barlow and see how it goes with the stock eye pieces and then make your mind up - its easy to spend in this game believe me lol

I'd go for the SW 200p/EQ5, just bought one in fact.

You need an equatorial mount if you want to take pictures of DSO's.

If you have no intention of taking up Astrophotography go for the 200 Dob as suggested earlier.

I wouldn't go for the zoom lenses they have a particular magnification they are good at and the other magnifications are average. Just buy a new eye piece now and then from about 6mm upwards.

Welcome to the forum,

It sounds like you're well on the way with advice already.

I thought I'd throw in the idea of Telrad finder if you've got any change left over, FLO recently started stocking them at a more reasonable rate than the other importers. I think they're out of stock at the moment though.

I got hold of one when I moved to a manual setup and for me it's a great help for finding targets.

Tyr

Archived