Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Finally bagged Mercury

Donwendy

Really clear sky just after sunset so was finally able to spot Mercury, little blighter had been eluding me for weeks. Its amazing how much satisfaction you can get from spotting a tiny light in the sky.:)

I saw it last Saturday out in the sticks with a big horizon. It was the first time since April 2002 - I remember climbing to the top of our block to see it when they were making a minor fuss in the media about a five planet conjunction.

I managed to spot it last Saturday evening as well. I had basically given up, started the car to leave and it jumped out at me. Only had bins with me but it was a strangely satisfying considering it was just a dot of light. It was nice to trace the line up to Venus and Jupiter and then across to the moon.

Got Mercury again last night and followed it to 'setting' over distant rooftop at 7.45PM - the latest time this apparition. It's moved noticeably northwards and higher in sky over the last week or so. Used C-8 through bedroom double glazing and phase just disernable !

Some nice clear skies early on last night. Found a spot in the garden where I could see Mercury, Venus, Jupiter, the Moon and Mars, all in one arc across the sky. Pretty amazing sight really.

I did see an alignment many years ago which was Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn and the Moon which I shan't forget, but this is getting close :D:)

Stu

The alignment was the last time I saw Mercury. My neighbour came round a couple of days ago all excited as she had spotted Mercury with her binos and wanted to see it through my scope. She was quite disappointed when she realised that the ornamental bamboo bush (read jungle) in HER garden totally obscured the view from my place. With a bit of luck she might trim a few feet off it. Fingers crossed.:)

Archived