• Mars
    • Jupiter
    • Saturn
    • Uranus
    • Neptune

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Much as i love Saturn, its kind of static compared to Jupiter. Always something new to see on Jupiter and also good fun to watch the moons dance around and change position over the course of a long observing session.

And I thought you might go for Mars Paul ;)

;)

Hard to say, but you'd have to be really outré to go for Uranus or Neptune, I reckon...;)

I suppose for telescopic observing, I'll have to pick Saturn because it was the first planet I ever looked at through a 'proper' telescope - as a teenager. Even though the the view was crude by modern standards, seeing the rings 'for real' for the first time blew me away!

For picking out with the naked eye, I choose Mercury, because it's always a challenge and it gives you a nice warm feeling of satisfaction to actually pin it down.

I picked Saturn because it always gives me a wow feeling. Jupiter has never been kind to me. It is really low contrast and I struggle to get any decent views. Although the GRS was nice this evening and the Io transit a little while ago was great.

I really want to be able to say Mars and would love to get good views but I just don't have the kit or sky for it. Tonight was about the best I have had. Good seeing and I could use a barlowed 7mm in my 10" for x340. Good bright polar cap with a darker band round it and a very dark stripe at the opposite pole. A few other lower contrast surface features too but still little more than a titchy pale-orange circle.

I'm going to go with Badger! Earth really is the most beautiful planet and we really do get the best experience of it. After that of course (well lets face it, Earth is cheating a bit from an astronomy point of view) it has to be Saturn. I saw it from the observatory in Vancouver way back in 1988 and its a bit like loosing your cherry. You never forget your first time ;)

Given my published failure with Mars,what on earth would make you think this?

You are being sarcastic,ain't you?......

Yes Paul, I was ;)

I've read a fair amount of your grief with the red planet over the years.

2018 though will change all of that - Mars will get to 24 arc seconds across ;)

Archived