Hello and can anyone help?

Malcolg

Hi all

I am new to this site and would like some help to get started with my new telescope? I have a Jessops TA900-114EQ. I have found the iset up instructions to be poor and although I was able to set up the electronic red dot finder in daytime as suggested since then I have been unable to see ANYTHING through my telescope at night???

I am obviously doing something wrong and would very much appreciate any help on offer :p

Thanks

x

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to SGL As suggested above check caps, try to focus on an object in daylight at the same time ensure red dot finder is aligned (use pylon or church spire in the distance) and finally start at night with your lowest mag EP - about 20 + mm.

Thanks for all your feedback. I originally lined red dot on building in daylight and could see clearly. All caps are off and I have tried 20+mm eyepiece? Someone said that I should start at night by focusing on moon?

Any other comments will be gratefully received? I am not as stupid as I am making out!!

Even with the 20mm eyepiece, you are getting 45x magnification and a field of view of about a degree. There are not many bright stars in the sky so if your focus is a bit out you will likely not see anything at night. The best thing to do is to try to point it at the moon and use the sky glow around the moon to guide you into moving the tube so that the moon is in view. Then you can focus precisely and then you can see other objects as you move the tube to another part of the sky. You will quickly get used to how much attention you need to pay to the view as you change the focus, waiting for faint dots of light to magically appear as you hit the right focus distance for each eyepiece.

Its not a case of being stupid lol so dont worry about that :p We're not here to judge, its like asking a brick layer to do brain surgery, or vice verca.....it just wouldnt happen! lol :)

You should only need to adjust your red dot finder (RDF) once and it should still be aligned next time you use it, unless you knock it or bang it

Archived