NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Recommend a 6mm EP?

Hi all

Can anyone reommend me a decent 6mm EP that won't require a 2nd mortgage? I'm working on the assumption that when using a 200P Dob 8" (1200mm focal length) that a 6mm EP will provide the max useable magnification for the scope (please correct me if I'm wrong about this!)

Cheers

Baz

WO 6mm Planetary £69

Celestron X-Cel (but you can have 5 or 7 not 6) £69

Meade Series 5000 Super Plossl (actually 5 or 6 elements and not a plossl), 5.5mm not 6mm, £80 [£50 at Green Witch].

I would be tempted by the Meade.

Check the construction of the 5.5mm may be 5 elements or 6, suspect 5 as it is less cost then the longer focal length ones. Look nice bits of equipment, good eye relief.

BGO every day of the week but be prepared for some squinting as the ER is tight. But for £45-50 S/H you won't find much that will compete with the views.

Another vote for the BGO here :D

The usual ortho caveats apply but you would have to pay a heck of a lot more to get any better performance and then you are into Zeiss / TMB Monocentric territory.

Best bang for buck would be without doubt the Baader Genuine Ortho. The eye relief although tight will be slightly better than the equivalent plossl. Problem is they are about as easy to source as hens teeth at the minute!

An 8mm Baader Hyperion, plus 28mm and 14mm fine tuning rings, which gives you 8mm / 6mm / 5mm / 4.3mm from one eyepiece and a wide 68 degree field of view. Then go and buy more Hyperions as they are very well suited to the SW 200P dob :D

Archived