Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telrad, why o why.......

I found it really good, even better when used with Stellarium in window mode press Alt-O and get the Telrad image on the screen, made finding DSO's so much quicker..

Ah...so that's how you do it! Thanks Tinker.

My Telrad keeps coming off the tube, I stuck it with the strong foam tape, and every morning I look at it and it's off again? Spooky :D It sticks down again ok, and has never come of whilst in use outside.

It seems to have magical battery-preserving qualities too. I've not changed the batteries in mine in over a year and I have been known in that time to forget to turn it off for a couple of days.

Tim

It uses batteries.:D

Totally forgot about that mines never used any. Put them in when I bought it over three years ago and they're still working. I've even forgot to switch it off on occasions, leaving it on for a week or more and it still works.

Regards Steve

Wish I could stop reading this thread !!!

Do I need a Telrad .............

Of course yes (but mount must come first)

Get one now whilst they are in stock!...none of the UK dealers had one when I was after one recently and had to get one from TS..... ended up paying twice what FLO are selling them for....:D

Telrad is superb... I have even taken to using mine in reverse - well, what I mean is I point the scope toward outa space and drift around until I find something interesting... I then take a peak through the old Telrad and note the location of the target rings and then check on sky maps to see identify what I've found... a kind of space explorer! great fun just drifting around looking at all those stars... love it! :D

Clearly I also use it other way and it's sooooooooooo easy!

When you look through it has three concentric circles (4 degrees, 2 degrees and 0.5 degrees) which can be helpful when starhopping, especially if you use Telrad overlays on star charts or software like Stellarium.

telrad.jpg

Personally, I'm not a fan, and much prefer a simple red dot finder, but they are very popular and many people use them.

Can someone explain why the Telrad is better than a single red-dot finder, as came standard on my old SW Skyhawk 1145?

I have read reviews etc. but am clearly missing something.

If you simply want a pointer device, then a single red dot finder is better in my opinion - it's worth paying for a good quality one though.

If you want to star hop then the Telrad reticle pattern with appropriate charts works well, however I wish they would improve the quality. The current model, which has been around for about 30 years now, is cheaply built and offers no protection from dew whatsoever. They're also not particularly reliable in my experience - I had failed diodes on 2 in succession, albeit over a period of 11 years or so.

Surely there's a market for an improved Telrad design that fixes the dew problem (without spending more money on after-market dew shields), that improves the diode reliability and offers a standard mounting solution that doesn't involve sticky tape, rubber bands or drilling holes in o.t.a.'s ?

Rgds, Alan.

Get one now whilst they are in stock!...none of the UK dealers had one when I was after one recently and had to get one from TS..... ended up paying twice what FLO are selling them for....:p

There did seem to be a shortage when i was looking, green witch had them so i thought better do it now.

Archived