NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What's your regular viewing site?

wired2moon

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the patio in front of the house if I want mains power. No real view of the northern sky there, but I can see Polaris over the roof and it's very sheltered.

In the field in front of the house if I want views to the north or close to the horizon and don't mind the local wildlife creeping up on me when I'm not expecting it.

James

Back garden for me. Some LP but no lights in direct sight of the garden. VLM mag 4.6 on a good night. Reasonable views E - S - W with a 10 - 15° Horizon, slightly blocked by the house to the N up to 30° but Gloucester lies that way so not missing much with the LP in that direction.

Back garden is pretty good once all the neighbours have gone to bed and turned off their lights.

Same here - I've got some tall trees to dodge too although they also shield some of the street / house lights so are some benefit as well.

I go the the SGL star party which has pretty dark skies once a year but I'd like to do that more often.

Back garden for me. Near to the city, but the other night I counted 10 stars visible to the naked eye inside the 4 corners of orion not including the belt. Views restricted to elevation of around 30 deg to the east, 20 deg in every other direction although LP is worst facing south, so again prob 30 deg is about as low as I can go. North is the darkest sky for me.

Emergency airfield with unobstructed 360° view. That said, I have discovered a seemingly perfect spot some 40kms from where I live, on a hill top that is overlooking a restricted military district in one of the darkest sky regions around. Shame that its inaccessible during winter though :D

Back garden, best after midnight when the Council turns off most of the street lights (bliss). I have a South facing back garden but it's built up on all sides with some trees. I have to be patient and wait for the season changes and rotation of the earth to bring objects of interest into my unobstructed view.

I have taken my old ETX RA on holiday with me, seeing Omega Centauri from Christchurch being a real treat. Low point was taking a 4 inch dia tube with a sight on the front and electronics on the back, through customs at LA airport. Surrounded by scary big blokes with guns and no sense of humour!

Depends, it's always at home in the yard. If I'm using the laptop I'm pretty much restricted to just outside the kitchen door because I have to use the mains power and that's the only spot where I can get to the power and still have a good southern view, 'orrible orange street lights included.

Failing that for general observing I can go down the back which is much darker and is a good view up but I don't have any horizon views.

Back garden. One corner gets really dark with no street lights. Gives great views of South, limited east but no West. North is visible, but scope is at an awkward angle. Sometimes go to the front garden, but there is street lights a plenty there.

I haven't bought my scope as yet, but I've been driving around my area at night (I'm sure I will get arrested sooner than later) to find a dark place to use, I found a carpark 10 miles away at Farley Mount in Hampshire. The night I went it was very dark and the stars were very bright, it was so dark I turned round and bumped into my car.

I can't wait until I get my telescope.

Archived