Hello from Derby

Sirius Bizness

Hi all :D

Been using the site for a few months now when I decided to get myself a scope. I am completely new to astronomy but seeing all the images on here made me really want to get into astrophotography so I bought my first set-up to suit. I will only be using it visually to begin with to learn the sky. Once I work out how to align my mount, etc I might have a go at connecting up my DSLR.

I bought a used Orion ED80 and HEQ5 Pro seccond hand to stretch my limited budget. After reading good reviews on this site I then bought a new Revelation 2" quartz diagonal, 8mm & 25mm BST Explorer eyepieces and Revelation 2" 2x barlow to make the most of the ED80. So far I haven't been disappointed.

Last night was my first ever viewing session. I used Stellarium beforehand to get an understanding of what I might be able to see. I didn't align anything...just put everything together and started wizzing round using the SynScan controller.

Jupiter was awesome. I could see 4 moons and 2 red bands. Had a look at Venus but it just looked like a bright star. Finally managed to get the Orion nebula in view and could see some nebulosity and resolve 4 stars in the middle. I could see the Pleiades by eye but with it being so high and my straight through finder I couldn't contort my body around to line it up. I think I need to get a right angled finder.

I also saw two bright opjects pass quickly through the field of view whilst trying to find the Pleiades...am I right in thinking that they were satellites?

I am looking forward to learning from everyone on here.

Martin

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived