Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lyra optics 4" F11 Achromat refractor

DaveGibbons

I just couldn't resist picking up this little 2nd hand beauty! As others have stated the build quality is absolutely fantastic. The sliding dew shield is very smooth a good fit and decent length. CNC tube rings are robust and look as good as anything I've seen. The finderscope bracket again CNC stuff just as good as any william optics kit. But the crowning glory is that 2 speed focuser - It's smoother than the moonlite on my 5" Istar and holds my binoviewers without any movement , and it's rotatable to boot!

I've managed an hour just to star test tonight and it's perfectly collimated and shows far far less CA than my Istar f8 and a measurable amount less than Tal f10's. Had it up to x375 on doubles and binoviewed both venus and Jupiter giving ultra sharp views. Not a review as such but first impressions are that my beloved Tal's may well have lost their crown as best budget achromat, and it still looks retro enough for me! I will spend a few weeks with the scope then post a much longer review an even try to do a little lunar and planetary web cam imaging.

cheers

Dave

post-12720-133877734784_thumb.jpg

post-12720-133877734793_thumb.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes Jules it came from your home town . Don't worry the Istar is staying with me it gives a much wider field of view and will perform slightly better on deep sky. I did have to upgrade the cg5 head with an ADM dual saddle as the stock one was not secure with the 22lb weight of the Istar OTA. I think they will compliment each other.

cheers

Dave

Lovely scope Dave :p

I've looked at those a number of times since Lyra Optics started selling them and I did notice that one for sale recently of course. I've still not thought up an excuse that my wife would accept for owning two 102mm refractors though :)

If it can improve over the TAL 100 then it's good indeed although the slightly slower focal ratio must help a bit I guess. The build quality looks marvelous and the traditional color scheme is just right.

Congratulations :(

Having had a 100RS before I got a Lyra Optics 102 f/11 I agree that while the TAL is good the Lyra is slightly better optically. Just enough of a difference to be noticeable. And as for the build quality, yes it compares favourably to a WO.

I still like my Lyra, and although it's not in the same league optically as my Carton 100 f/13, it is lighter and more portable. I use it as a grab'n'go alternative on an Alt-Az mount. :)

John

I still like my Lyra, and although it's not in the same league optically as my Carton 100 f/13, it is lighter and more portable. I use it as a grab'n'go alternative on an Alt-Az mount. :)

John

John, I think I may well follow you down that route soon! Your f13 build is fantastic and I have no doubt it will outperform the f11. It's a real eye-opener as to how good longer focal length achromats are.

cheers

Dave

Congratulations Dave. I sold my Lyra f11 a few weeks ago to help fund a bigger dob and now seeing yours has made me sort of regret it :D They are a superb piece of kit and would agree a marked step up from the Tal 100s.

Lyra 102 f/11 on modified Manfrotto 405 geared head with Manfrotto 475 tripod.

As I had shortened the tube by a few inches for solar use I use an extension that fits between the focuser and the mounting flange for regular observing. While a long scope like this is really a bit much for the mount, it's still stable enough to use, and very portable.

John

post-14522-133877735208_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I will surely to build a PST mod with a Lyra 100. I would have a question for John, please : could you tell me details about the flange that you used on the shortened tube ? This flange permit you to screw the stock focuser of the Lyra ?

Thanks,

Olivier

It was a spare SkyWatcher crayford flange that I had. You have to drill three small holes in the tube and bolt the flange on in the same way as it is done with one of the SkyWatcher refractors.

However you can also use the Baader flange.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p771_Baader-Anschlussadapter-fuer-Steeltrack-an-Skywatcher-Refraktor.html

It is possible for a machine shop to shorten the tube and then make a new thread on the tube but the bolt-on flange is easy to do.

John

Thank you very much for your informations.

First, sorry for my poor english...

I think I will take the bolt on flange solution.

So if I understand, The baader flange is directly compatible with the Lyra focuser ?

Regards,

Olivier

Nice scope there Dave, I've been longing to have a proper look though one of these since they came out and will be interested in any 1st light reports you may have.

Im a keen long fl achro fan and also a keen fan of the Kunming/Allied Optics hardware, (having had one of their ED102s for a few years). The lyra is identical in all except optics and fl to the ed102; focuser rings, dew shield and finish are the same Kunming.

For the money this scope must be a belter

Philj

Why did I read this thread????

Now I want one. (Lyra 102) - The pic of Johns in his ob/conservatory looks like a telescope should it just looks so RIGHT! !!

So better start thinking about explaining another purchase to the missus as being essential

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk 2

Agree the Lyra 102 looks lovely - been admiring this on the lyra website for ages, and if it really is that much better than the TAL, I am seriously tempted - but would struggle to get approval for yet another 4" frac. I think the starwave may have to go, so I could keep to my self-imposed 4 'scope limit!

John,

I notice you have what looks like a Skywatcher RACI finder fitted. Is it just a case of unscewing the supplied WO shoe and replacing it with th SW one using the same holes, or is there some DIY required ( drilling holes/tapping and such)

John,

I notice you have what looks like a Skywatcher RACI finder fitted. Is it just a case of unscrewing the supplied WO shoe and replacing it with th SW one using the same holes, or is there some DIY required ( drilling holes/tapping and such)

Yes, you just need a standard Synta type mounting foot with a new hole drilled in it. No mods to the scope.

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/170215-finder-synta-type-base-crayford-focuser.html#post2104417

John

Thanks John, nice clear pics on that thread showing the foot/shoe mod.

Also had a look at the item for sale ready modified mentioned in that thread - £20 for drilling & countersinking one hole - I'm in the wrong line of business

Archived